Sunday, January 16, 2011

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico...

What an incredible getaway Garrett and I just returned from! I think I looked forward to seeing the sun more than I ever have in my life, probably because this year our winter has been cold and grey.

We stayed at the Hilton Golf and Beach Resort in Cabo and it was spectacular...the infinity pool, the cabana beds, the virgin pinata's and the sunrises and sunsets were just what they should be. Everything was breathtaking...it was a true vacation!

We took off Tuesday morning and left all the snow behind to enjoy 5 days in the hot Mexico sunshine. Wyatt stayed with my sister for the week, Colt stayed with Seth, Ash stayed with Breanne and Kenna stayed with Sadie and then the kids all spent the weekend with Whitney...how lucky we are to have great family and friends to help us enjoy some much needed time together.

We spent Tuesday relaxing at the hotel for a few hours and then met up with Garrett's parents, Steve and Vorelle, and Debby and Steve Turner for dinner at the Mona Lisa which overlooked Land's End. We ate while watching the sunset and cruise ships pass in the night and racked up quite a bill, then laughed when Steve's credit card was denied and then Garrett's was denied...after a call to the credit card headquarters all was good and we could leave without washing dishes. Next time we leave the U.S. we'll call ahead and have our cards cleared for Mexico.
Wednesday we watched the sunrise and then stayed in bed until we we had to get up for breakfast. We ate by the pool and Garrett was in heaven with his freshly squeezed grapefruit juice.

We spent the day in town with Garrett's parents and the Turner's and took a glass bottom boat ride to Land's End and Lover's Beach and Garrett even got to reel in a fish. We shopped at the market for gifts for the kids and those that helped with the kids and enjoyed lots of great food and Coke lite.

Along the shops, there was a guy dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow for all the tourists to see. Vorelle wanted her picture taken by him so the three of us girls tipped him and then had our picture taken with him...after the first picture was taken he reached down and squeezed my bum, I looked over at him and said "what?" then ran down to where Garrett was so I could tell him what had happened. Garrett had snapped a second picture just seconds after that incident...and you can see the surprise on my face, but in the picture, it looks more like I'm laughing!

We spent the evening at the pool taking lots of underwater videos, laughing like crazy and having so much fun together. The next day Garrett's mom mentioned to me how she loved hearing us laugh.
Thursday, Vorelle and I spent the day out on the ocean whale watching. It was perfect weather...anytime the sun in shining nothing can go wrong. We saw lots of whales, enjoyed a great Mexican lunch and drank many more virgin pinatas. I got to spend some time with a couple we met the night before while sitting on the beach. John and Julie are from Indiana, and have 4 boys and a little girl. We all hit it off instantly and enjoyed getting to know them throughout the week. I'm excited to keep in touch when we get home and hopefully see them every year at these conferences.

While Vorelle and I spent the day on the ship, the boys golfed at the #1 rated golf course in the world...La Diamante. They loved their caddie and ran him to death looking for all their stray balls. Garrett and his dad had the time of their lives!

Thursday evening we ate at Mi Casa. The outside of this restaurant looked like it couldn't be bigger than the size of our great room, but once inside it went on for blocks...it was amazing.
It was great to be on this trip and enjoy so many things with Garrett's parents. They are great people. I love how Garrett's dad is so childlike in his thinking. I love his innocence and love how Vorelle "puts" up with his funny ways. There was a beautiful dancer that came out to entertain us while we waited for our food. Steve was enamoured with her and kept saying how Bailey, his 8 year old granddaughter, would grow up to look like her. We laughed as Garrett immediately joked with Steve that Bailey wasn't Mexican...the rest of the night we referred to this girl as Bailey. At the end of the evening she walked past again and you should have seen Steve, he was like a little kid having his first crush...I love that Vorelle just let's him enjoy looking at beautiful women and I love that Steve's just so innocent about it, he really is and I love that about him.

Friday, Garrett had a seminar he had to attend at the hotel, so I enjoyed a relaxing day at the pool. I sprayed suntan lotion all over my body, lounged on the cabana bed, swam, lounged some more, swam some more, enjoyed a massage right at poolside, felt totally pampered and enjoyed myself immensely.

Friday evening we glammed up for the Presidents Dinner. Before our trip to Mexico, I bought a new dress and heels for the occasion and was so excited to surprise Garrett...back home, I tried the dress on for the girls and they loved it and couldn't stop saying how hot I looked and how they couldn't wait to hear what dad thought of it. Everyday, while we were in Mexico, Kenna would call and ask if dad had seen the dress yet. She was almost more excited than I was for him to see it...I loved that! The dress did not disappoint and I felt like a million bucks...he looked pretty hot too!! It was a great evening, all except for the strawberry daiquiri I ordered...non alcohol of course, but when it came and looked darker than the other virgin daiquiris at the table I asked if my father-in-law, Steve, would take a sip and tell me if it had alcohol (long story, but he would know), well, after almost slurping half the daiquiri I tapped his arm and asked if he could tell...he took a breath and said "I'm not sure, maybe I need another taste, but that one tastes better than mine" I laughed so hard...then Vorelle tasted it and puckered her lips agreeing that there was alcohol in it. You gotta be so careful, because so many of the servers don't understand that when alcohol is available and free not everyone wants it. Just another memory to file away of my father-in-law. Here he is below enjoying a good book in a cabana bed. Saturday was our last day in Mexico...when we woke on Saturday, I wasn't quite ready for our getaway to be over, but then we got a call from Wyatt who could hardly talk or breathe because he was missing us so much and crying so hard. After that call, I was ready to be home! We got what we needed from this trip and now it was time to go home and love my kids!

But, before we left I had my hair braided by a cute lady at a little shop. I've never had my hair braided and I wanted it done before I really get too old for it to be cool. My girls thought it was the coolest thing and Garrett's always a good sport to go along with my crazy ideas! A few more hours in the sun, then time to put on our jeans and hoodies and head home to snowy Utah...we will be back, but next time with the kids! Coming home from Mexico I have been so chill...nothing bothers me. I need a vacation like this every year after Christmas. It's amazing what the sun (what Light) can do...this was a much needed and appreciated vacation!