Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Showing our Faith...

I haven't written about this experience, but wanted to before I forget...back in September is when this began, but for quite a few months Garrett had been consumed with the burden so many of the men in our ward who are unemployed are carrying. He had been to the temple for these men, fasted for them and then was almost rebuked by the Lord and had the impression that he hadn't done enough to bear their burdens, to really fulfill his baptismal covenant. I had no idea he was feeling this until the last Sunday in September, the week before October's fast and testimony Sunday. He talked about feeling he hadn't done enough to help these men get jobs, that maybe if it hadn't taken him so long to realize it was in a sense his obligation to really bear their burdens, then something might have happened sooner. I sat in the congregation with tears in my eyes because I didn't realize he had been carrying this weight. I had no idea! I remember just feeling so sad for him. Then he challenged the whole ward to show our faith, like the Nephites did in the Book of Mormon...for so great was their faith that the Lord could see their faith. He invited everyone to be in the temple for ward temple night coming up that week and then to fast on Sunday for these brethren in the ward who need jobs. To put aside our own needs and desires for our fast and to think of these men and their families. He said that if we did this, and the Lord could see our faith, then miracles would take place.

I remember thinking this is huge. Many of our friends came up to us after and said this is just what we need to do. Sunday night Garrett was quiet and somber...I think he was thinking about all he had promised everyone in the ward. That miracles would happen. Monday driving into work, doubt crept into his mind and he wondered if the miracles he promised really would happen. He told me he cried on his way to work and questioned out loud if he had made the right decision on Sunday. He questioned out loud to the Lord then felt prompted to turn on the radio. Immediately the song that began to play was "Be Still My Soul." He felt peace and knew he had made the right choice. But still it's hard to wait and put it all in the Lord's hands, I guess that's where our faith is tried and tested and where the Lord sees our faith.

I know Heavenly Father is aware of him. I know he answers his quiet prayers and those prayers when he is pleading unto him. My heart aches because I know there are so many more experiences that he can't share with me, but I know the Lord makes his burdens light even though there are many. I remember thinking and praying for that week that everyone who could would be at the temple and that we would all fast for this cause. And continuing to pray and fast for the next month that miracles would happen in our ward.

Garrett was looking forward to November's fast Sunday when our friends and neighbors could stand and testify that miracles took place and jobs were found...but nothing had come and I felt Garrett's sadness and his disappointment and I felt the burden he carried even more. Our good stake president spoke to the ward about miracles and that sometimes the miracle we are looking for is not the miracle that takes place...and that it takes time. It's now been three months and miracles have taken place and so many tender mercies have been realized by these families whose dads are out of work. A few men have received jobs and a few are still looking with some promising opportunities.

Garrett is blessed to have good men around him. We especially love Brian Bichler and he loves and respects Garrett so much. Lately Sundays are long for Garrett...starting at 6 and ending at 6 because of tithing settlement. I guess this past Sunday Brian asked G what he could do for him...Garrett said "make me some lunch" just joking,but serious too. Well, Brian went home and made an awesome shrimp wrap and packed a whole lunch for Garrett. Garrett was overwhelmed when he saw what Brian had made and couldn't wait to eat it, but didn't have a break for quite a while so it sat for a few hours. After church the girls and I put together some chicken salad croissants, fruit and brownies for the guys to munch on at the church and when Brian saw the food he thought Garrett would rather have a croissant than his wrap, so he ate his wrap so Garrett could have the fresh croissant sandwiches...except when Garrett had a minute he went looking for the wrap and couldn't find it and had to settle for a croissant. So funny! Brian is a great guy...always looking out for his Bishop. We are blessed!