Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mother's Day...

It's tough being a mom!  I told Garrett the other day that I miss having my little babies all around because I really feel that was a lot easier...no talking back, we had control of pretty much all they did, as little ones they were quick to obey.  Now there's more teasing between the kids, more bugging each other, less jump in their step as I ask them to walk the dog or vacuum...it's tough...but all in all our kids are amazing and I really do love being a mom.  It's just harder than I ever imagined. My mom made it look easy!  So, the other day I called my mom after losing my temper with the girls.  I needed wisdom.  Their room is never clean and I'm going crazy because I feel like I need them to have order in their room.  I'm just tired of hearing their room is clean then going down to check and it's still a total disaster (somehow don't they see the food dishes, the dirty clothes stuffed in the corners and anything else you could ever imagine still on the floor!!)

I needed my mom's counsel on how she dealt with me as a young girl because I know my room wasn't always clean, and yet I never remember her making a big deal out of it...she never let it hurt our relationship.  She gave me some great advice and for the past two weeks I've taken it to heart and I'm not harping on my girls anymore to clean their rooms...I'm letting them just live in their rooms.  Every once in a while I'll ask if they can go tidy up their rooms, but i don't even check!!  It really hasn't been tough to let it go, I think because I realize that I don't want anything to come in between my girls feeling like they can come to me about anything or talking to me about life...I know this will help.  It's also freeing for me and I'm sure for the girls too :) thanks, mom for always being a mom.  Even though I'm almost 40 I still need your wisdom!!

Mother's Day was great...after church I even got to take a nap and while I slept, my cute Colter boy made this sign and hung it all by himself.  What a stud! He truly knows how to make my day!  We ate dinner at grandma and grandpa Nichol's and enjoyed the beautiful place settings my mom put out.  She had one table decorated with grandma Gutke's china and a beautiful picture of her as a young mom and another with grandma Berk's china and her picture, too.  It was perfect!  We also visited great grandma Sill and grandma and grandpa Sill, but grandma wasn't feeling too well, just getting over a sinus cold so our visit was short.  I have great mom's to look up to...I hope my girls will say the same thing in 20 years!