Sunday, February 21, 2010

Colt's First Pheasant Hunt

This weekend couldn't come fast enough for Colter...When the girls turned 8, we took them and their girlfriends to the Lion House to celebrate, but to me that's more of a girly thing to do, so with Colt I haven't known what to do to make his 8th birthday a memorable one.
I guess Colt had been thinking about it too, because a few months ago, he told dad all he wanted for his 8th birthday was to go on a pheasant hunt...Garrett couldn't have been happier! He quickly made arrangements for them to spend the night at Falcon's Ledge and scheduled a guide at the hunting preserve for Colt's first hunt...it all came together perfectly!
About a month ago whenever I would head out to the grocery store, Colter would ask if I could get the treats he and dad would need for their trip. I would just smile and tell him I wouldn't let him down...it got to be so funny to me how important it was to him not to forget any of his or dad's favorite treats...peanut butter M&M's, jerky, sunflower seeds and York pieces. Just the basics for these boys!
Garrett picked Colt up from school, packed the truck and even packed the dog, they picked up his cousin, Brett and his son, Taylor to join in the fun and began their adventure.
I remember going out duck hunting with Garrett, Brett and Taylor when Garrett and I were newly married...Taylor and I would sit on the buckets, waiting in the brush while Garrett and Brett shot down the ducks. Taylor was only 5 or 6 and he thought I was the coolest. I adored him too. He's now 17 and still so dang cute!
Friday night they ate Subway sandwiches at the lodge, shot guns, played a little pool and ping pong, watched some Olympics and threw the football around until one of Colt's throws hit the fluorescent light hanging above the ping pong table and it came crashing down on the table. Glass was everywhere. Colt's first question was "Dad, are there camera's here?" Garrett said "No, why do you ask?" Colt's reply was "Then nobody will know I broke the light." What??!! Just last summer Colter broke one of our windows and even though he was scared, he immediately came and told me because he knew it was the right thing to do...what has changed in the last year??
After hearing Colt's response, Garrett then took the time to teach his young son about honesty and integrity and choosing the right, even when you think no one is watching. Colter understood and knew they needed to tell the owners. They found a vacuum and spent the next hour cleaning up all the glass and then Colter fell fast asleep right on cue...9:00 p.m. Such a funny kid!
The snow they trudged through was deep and cold, but Colter never complained, he just kept right on shooting video footage of the pheasants in flight and then as they would come falling down from the sky. I know Garrett had a great time...last night he couldn't stop gushing about how great Colter was to take on the hunt, what a stud he is and how much he loves that boy! I love to hear that from him. I love my boys!
Late Saturday night I snuggled with Colt and told him how happy I was to have him back home...he said "yeah, I'm glad to be home, too" then he paused for a minute and said "but I really love Falcon's Ledge, mom!" In Colt's own words..."my favorite part of the trip was everthing, but I'd have to say being with my dad was the best!"
Happy early birthday, champ. I sure love you and I can't wait to cook those birds for dinner...