Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Last Year in his 30's...

Garrett took the day off and spent his birthday fly fishing the Provo River. It was probably the best day he's had out fishing in quite a while. He caught his first fish ever on his birthday!
We had an early dinner at The Training Table because he didn't want me to have to cook on his birthday, too sweet. Then we came home for his favorite chocolate roll cake. This year the kids asked him if he ever gets tired of having the same cake every year..."No way" was his reply!
For his birthday, the kids and I found him an awesome case for holding his many fly reels, a cd by Alex Boye with one of his favorite songs on it...Be Still My Soul, a scripture case, some peanut butter m&m's and a new Cabelas hat for fishing. I feel so blessed that we continue to grow closer each year. That I seek out time to be with him because I just love being with him, that he still pats me on the bum, or just grabs me and squeezes me and tells me every day how hot he thinks I am.

This last year I have learned so much by watching him. He is diligent in all he does. He has quiet dignity. He is genuine. He has no guile. I think that's probably the best compliment I could ever give him. The other night we were looking at our wedding picture that hangs in our entryway...I thought he was cute back then, but now I just think he is so much more handsome and so much more dignified. I feel blessed to feel that way about him. To love him and who we have become together.
Last night we were at the Bountiful temple and had the opportunity to hear from President Callister, the temple president, and his wife, the temple matron. He talked about living in this life and walking side-by-side with our companions, not one in front of the other, but side-by-side and then entering the eternities together side-by-side. I love the imagery that created in my mind of me walking hand-in-hand with Garrett. I have friends who are struggling in their marriages and it's so heartbreaking. Maybe that's why I feel so blessed to truly consider Garrett my best friend, my confidant, my everything.

Happy 39th Babe...it's gonna be a great year!