Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Date Nights...

After going to Garrett's 20th reunion from Davis this past summer, I feel he has felt a pull to get back in touch with some of his best friends from high school...some of the guys he grew up with and who shared so much of his youth.
At his reunion, I met Mike and Sarah Schuller. Mike was one of Garrett's best friends through jr high and high school. I had always heard a lot about Mike and Sarah too, so meeting them that night I felt like I already knew them. In the 'good old days,' before responsibility and marriage and parenthood, Garrett and Mike skied together every weekend and when they weren't racing each other down the ski slopes, they were racing each other up and down the streets of Kaysville.
Last weekend, Mike and Sarah picked us up and took us out to McCools, one of their favorite local eatery's tucked away from Layton's main drag. Dinner was amazing, then we hit Nielsen's for some custard. It was a great night.
I have stayed in close contact with my best friends from elementary, jr high and high school and love how these friendships continue to deepen and develop through the years and even though we may only see each other a few times a year, whenever we mange to get back together, it's like nothing has changed...we pick up right where we left off.
I'm seeing the same thing with Garrett and his high school friends. I'm glad he's taking the initiative to reconnect with some of the guys that played a big part in his youth.
In talking to Mike, Garrett found out that another great friend, Jared Sanders, was having an art showing in Park City. Anxious to meet up with another friend that he hadn't seen since our wedding, we marked the date on our calendar and planned another date night for this past weekend. We are spoiled to be able to go out together so much as a couple...this last weekend after a date on Friday and then getting ready to go out Saturday night Wyatt asked me "Are you going on ANOTHER date with dad??! Ohh man, that is ridiculous!!" We all laughed!
Friday night we dropped the kids off for their own date night with grandma and grandpa Nichol to see the movie Planet 51 and then dinner at Dees restaurant while we made our way to Park City for an early Valentines celebration. We found the art studio and followed Jared and his wife, Paula up the stairs to his 'showing'. Jared looked over at us and we just stared back - it took a few long seconds before Jared recognized Garrett, then it was like they were little kids again talking about playing in the Hollow and growing up in Kaysville. It was so easy and comfortable and they were so touched that we came to Park City just to see them and support them. We checked out his incredible art work and enjoyed some dinner from the Blue Iguana. They live in Midway, so we made plans next time we're there, to get together at one of their favorite Mexican restaurants right in Midway.
Then Saturday night, for another early Valentines dinner, we went out to sushi at Tona's in Ogden with our good friends Greg and Amy. We ate more sushi than I have my entire life and loved every minute of it. Last time we ate at Tona's I dreamed about sushi all night. We are blessed to have an abundance of good friends...I swear Garrett and Greg are the same person and Amy is someone I love and admire and love spending time with. I love that Garrett and Greg get to work so closely together in their church callings and get to fish together on the rivers to get away from it all.
These last few weeks I've loved watching Garrett reminisce with old friends and new friends. Though he and his high school friends are all much older and wiser and greyer, it's truly like they picked up right where they all left off...back in high school, before their missions, before marriage and children. Just crazy boys with a need for adventure - not much has changed!
I love the man Garrett is. I love that he's seeking out old friends and strengthening his new friendships and reaching out to those that might need a friend. I love date night!