Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Valentines Weekend...

Sunday after Church, we packed the car and headed up to Midway for the night. As we drove to my parent's vacation home, my heart sank as I saw the 'For Sale' sign hanging from the balcony.
It really is true. I'm sad, yet, at the same time, glad.
It's hard to put into words the things that have taken place these past few years as my parents planned to build this beautiful place, as it finally came to be, as they decorated it and moved in and as we've enjoyed so many, many times together as family. Wyatt thinks he was born in Midway because it's been such a huge part of his little life.
We've known for a few weeks that my parents were planning to sell but we hadn't thought to tell the kids. As the girls and I made dinner that night in Midway they asked if it were true...if grandma and grandpa were really selling Midway.
My heart was heavy as I told them of the things that led grandma and grandpa to this decision. At first the girls were sad because they love being able to spend so much time with grandma and grandpa in Midway and to have such a great place to bring friends for quick overnighters, but then McKenna said "Mom, it's really OK, just like last Friday when we went out with grandma and grandpa...it doesn't matter where we are or what we're doing, as long as we're together, that's really all that matters." Wow, what wisdom from an eleven-year old!
Going back quite a few years, I feel I grew up in the best neighborhood in Sandy, in an amazing ward, in a beautiful house that my dad built and remodeled whenever styles would change or whenever my mom wanted something new. I always loved our Sandy home, but growing up I knew my mom never really felt settled. I always sensed she wanted to move into something bigger or better. Over the years, I've had long talks with her, reminding her that things don't bring happiness or make life any easier, but still she longed for that beautiful home on the hill...so a vacation home in Midway seemed to be the perfect fit for this longing she felt. I say seemed because over the last few years, since building their Midway home, I know my mom has made quite a few discoveries about herself and what she thought she always wanted, but what she didn't realize she always had.
Learning this lesson will benefit her (and my dad) for the rest of her life. I think she and my dad are stronger because of the things they have come to know about themselves these last few years because building this beautiful, incredible, perfect home in Midway didn't make life any easier, it didn't take away stress or trials or challenges...it has made me love my parents even more as I've watched them realize what really matters in life and as I've watched them support one another. The Midway house did bring us closer together as a family and I think I now realize we will need to be more diligent about making time to be together. My parents came to realize how much they miss the simple life of hooking up their trailer and heading out into the great wide without a reservation or plans of where they would end up...something they haven't done in years.
So, that is why I'm sad and at the same time, glad...sad to see Midway gone, yet glad to see my parents united stronger than ever and glad my mom is finally, truly settled and loving her Sandy home with all of her heart.
We enjoyed our quick overnighter with our friends, Greg and Amy and four of their kids, Emily, Mitchell, Jacob and Sarah. I think I actually cherished it more because it's not going to be ours much longer!
The boys fished, the kids swam, the girls took naps, we all played games and watched the XXI winter Olympics. Another great get-away.