Thursday, August 12, 2010

Girls Camp...

McKenna went to girls camp for the first time this year and had an amazing time!! She turned 12 just two weeks before camp so this was a great place to get to know all the girls. As bishop, Garrett spent the week with the girls at camp and only strayed to the river to fish a few times :). He said it was needed because he was teaching our good friend, John Anderson, how to fly fish...anything for a good cause!! Garrett and John are already planning to be at girls camp all week again next year. They said girls camp is the church's best kept secret.
I called him one morning to get a glimpse into what McKenna was up to. He said "Ya, know...in all my years at scout camp I've never seen this, but the girls are all down at the river washing each others hair...this is new to me!"
Thursday I was so exctied to be able to go to camp for the devotional and testimony meeting. In my mind, I knew how McKenna would react when she saw her mom coming through the crowd. In my mind, she would run to me and not want to leave my side until I left later that night...she would cry and say how much she missed me. But, that's not how it happened. When she saw me she did come running and gave me a huge hug, but then as quickly as she came, she was off again with her friends...what??
I'm not ready for her to be sooo independent. I'm glad shes confident and capable and okay with being away from home, but I really wasn't expecting it to be so soon and almost overnight...she's turning into a young woman right before our eyes!