Monday, February 28, 2011

One Last Night at Midway...

Friday my parents had gotten word that the sale of their home in Midway was going through and they didn't know know much time we would have before the keys would be handed over to the new owners. So late Friday night, after Kenna's Fiddler on the Roof performance, we loaded the kids into the car and took off for one last night together in Midway. We knew a storm was coming through so we decided to leave Friday night and miss the storm instead of hitting it in the morning, well, we went through the worst of it that night. We arrived around midnight and trudged through the two feel of snow on the driveway to get the kids into their beds. In the rush to get to Midway we hadn't packed any food, so after getting the kids all settled, Garrett headed out for milk, cereal and donuts. I turned on the fireplace, sat in the quiet, dimly lit great room and cried and cried...then I slowly walked to each bedroom, layed on each bed and looked around the room and cried some more. I plead with my Heavenly Father to help me remember this beautiful home and all the memories we had made there...all the times we were together with grandma and grandpa, cousins, aunts, uncles and close friends... playing rummikub, mexican train, mancala, rushhour, shooting bb guns, riding the golf cart, playing trains with grandpa, swimming, sledding, snow-shoeing, knocking out teeth, walking the river, fly fishing the rivers, playing tennis, shooting marshmallow guns, the kids playing in the Harry Potter room with all the pillows, watching the Olympics, celebrating New Years Eve, Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th of Julys, birthdays, watching general conference with cousins, eating at Dairy Keen almost every trip, hiking Memorial Hill, playing ball in the yard, watching movies and just being together with no interruptions from home. The tears wouldn't stop and it felt good to just cry.
A huge weight has been lifted from my parents, to have Midway sold, but it's hard to see it end. Saturday afternoon as we locked the place up, Garrett and I walked out together and I told him I was at peace. We look forward to the next adventure...