Lake Powell is my heaven on earth. I have so many great childhood memories of being at Lake Powell with my family, extended family, friends and boyfriends, too. My brothers and sister feel the same way. There's just something in the air at Lake Powell...even the smell is different than anything else, maybe it's just the way the wind hits your face as you cut through a channel, or the way the water just invigorates you after laying out, or maybe it's the beauty of it all. Whatever it is, it is heaven! Garrett and I were invited by Scott and Lisa Quist to spend a few days with them and a few of Garrett's co-workers on their magnificent houseboat. They took care of everything and all we had to do was enjoy!! It was fabulous.
We got to hang with Jason and Angie and their cute kids, too. We used to see each other more, but haven't caught up in a few years so it was fun to spend some time with them. Garrett also fished a little, but the fish just weren't biting and I wake boarded, which turned bad. I tried to jump the wake and landed wrong, then tried to correct my land and hit an edge...and hit it hard. I went down with a smack and my board flew off my feet. I came up holding my right ear feeling I had just ruptured my eardrum. I got back to the houseboat and our friend Steve thought I should clean out my ear with some rubbing alcohol, so I layed on the couch as he put a few drops in my ear...aaagh. The pain was more than I could bear...I jumped up and ran to the sink to put water in my ear to dilute the alcohol. I was shaking and couldn't even speak because it was such raw pain in my eardrum, but I tried to keep it together because everyone was there. Right then Steve knew I had ruptured my eardrum and he felt horrible...I took some ibuprofen, layed down and fell asleep for 3 hours. I woke up and didn't have any more pain but couldn't hear out of my right ear.
Once we got back home, I called Garrett's friend from high school, Mike Schueller, who is now an ENT and made an appointment for him to check out my ear. Yep, I had ruptured my eardrum and so he put a tiny patch over the hole. My hearing came back and the hole is healing well. Whew!
All in all it was a great trip...I'm grateful G and I could getaway on this road trips and spend some much needed time together. I'm grateful he knows me and knows Lake Powell is my most favorite place in the world. I'm grateful Whitney and the boys could come up and watch our kids and that good friends could help, too. We are surrounded by people who truly care. We are so blessed.