Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Happy Birthday, Babe...

Last night we enjoyed a delicious pork roast dinner at Garrett's parents to celebrate his birthday... we also had fun watching old home movies of him growing up. We watched some from 1978, when he was about 7 years old. It was funny to see so many similarities between Garrett and our son, Colter...they both have rhythm and anytime that camera comes on them they are 'bustin a move'. One part we watched was Garrett out riding his skinny skateboard in tiny little 'John Stockton' shorts with his long skinny legs hanging down and no shoes on...Garrett's always telling the kids to put shoes on when they play outside in the streets. I guess it's mostly my fault our kids don't wear shoes...I am the worst at wearing shoes in the summertime and my kids follow suit...we had a good laugh at that one.
Then we forwarded quite a few years to when he was getting off the plane from serving his mission in Guatemala...I don't think I could stop smiling just watching this cute, young man recentely returning from serving the Lord. It was emotional to see him at that age (we didn't meet until 4 years later). I loved that he was so humble and meek and I loved hearing a little bit of the accent still in his voice. I kept saying how cute he was and McKenna, who was sitting right next to me, whispered in my ear "I can see why you feel in love with dad," that made me smile. He was a great catch...and still is!