Friday afternoon Garrett and I stole away for a couple of hours to hit the shooting range. Garrett is so comfortable around guns...I am still learning all the ins and outs of the sport. Shooting clay pigeons at Falcon's Ledge is one of my favorite things ever. I love it...not to brag, but I am a pretty great shot! At the range, shooting Garrett's 22 came pretty easily, so after a few rounds, he had me try it one-handed. I was up for it, so I let go with my left hand and just naturally rested it on my hip. He immediately pulled my hand down off from my hip and we both laughed out loud...I love being with him. I love that he knows me so well and loves me just the same.
General Conference weekend is always something we look forward to...time with the family and the opportunity to hear counsel, guidance and direction from our Prophet and other men and women of God. This last week, with our Relief Society Presidency, I had the chance to attend the Leadership Training meetings in downtown Salt Lake. We sat in the Tabernacle and heard from the Relief Society General Board. I came away with a renewed sense of compassion and the desire to seek for the Spirit more abundantly in my life. Later that same night was our Home, Family & Personal Enrichment night...Judy Brummer, an amazing lady who grew up in Africa talked of her conversion, her mission and her calling to translate the Book of Mormon into the pure African 'clik' language. She began by testifying to us that there was a reason she was born into the family she was born into...there is a reason all of us are born into our families. We may not understand it now, but it fits into the Lord's plan. As a child, growing up in Africa, she learned this unique language in her home (along with English) from her 3 black mama's, who were servants that lived and worked in her family home and on their 30 acre farm. Not until she met the missionaries did she come to understand her call in life. She was inspiring. She was motivating. She was fascinating. She spoke of the opposition that occured while she was preparing to translate the Book of Mormon, that the power of Satan is real. She shared many experiences given to her while translating. One in particular has already made me want to know and feel more. She shared that while translating in the book of Nephi...she knew Nephi, she knew his personality and felt his presence, she actually came to know him! That same thing happened with Alma, King Benjamin, Moroni and so many others from the Book of Mormon. I want to know these men, I want to understand their personalities. I know for that to happen, I need to read their words. That's my goal this year as I again read the Book of Mormon.On Sunday, it was nice to get away to Midway and listen to Conference. We haven't been in months, partly because of our new puppy, but also because life can get busy. Saturday, as we listened to conference, we all worked on humanitarian projects and took them with us to Midway so grandma and grandpa and my sister and her family could help. These little blocks are addicting, and so fun to make. Even Garrett gets in on the action...
The Church will send these to orphanages all around the world...inside the blocks are little bells. We also continued the celebration of Colter's 7th birthday with cake and ice cream.
When I saw the cake my mom had made it made me smile...it was divided down the center with vanilla frosting on one half and chocolate on the other. Anyone who knows my mom, knows she is always thinking of others and loves to make everyone happy...so having half chocolate and half vanilla satisfies everyone. Garrett saw the same cake, but had a different reaction. When I asked him what he thought of the cake he said it looked like my mom couldn't make up her mind (again), so she went with both...that was actually the most perfect answer. My dad, my mom (who is such a great sport), Whitney, Garret and I all laughed at his answer, because that is SO her! I have learned a lot from my mom...she's mainly the reason I am the kind of woman I've become. One thing my dad loves to do is light and then relight the candles, so every kid can have a chance to blow them out. He even had his mini blow torch out to relight all the candles quickly, however many times was needed...which turned out to be about seven. I love the grin on his face!Loved this shot of the boys...Tanner, Colter and Ethan
Grandpa Nichol, Ethan, Tanner, Colter and Wyatt Not sure what we have going on here...but, maybe one day it will be used against him :). Those are the cutest little cheeks ever!
Colter got a remote control yellow jeep from Tanner and Ethan, which will be so fun to drive around the cul-de-sac. He also got a similar remote control red mustang from grandma and grandpa Sill last week and has loved it. When Colter opened his car from grandma and grandpa Sill Wyatt looked at it and said "ah, man, that cool!" Colter's a great big brother...he's good to share everything with Wyatt, even a new toy.Colter with his great-grandma Sill
Wyatt went into a frenzy just wanting to control the car himself...good thing his birthday is only three weeks away so he can have his own! When the girls were little I remember always buying two of everything, just to avoid meltdowns...looks like we are reaching that point with the boys.Wyatt's cute buddy, Owen, came over the other day to play...if I turn my back for just a minute these boys are either getting into the tub and turning the water on, jumping on my bed and throwing off all the pillows or getting into the candy and tasting every sucker in the jar. Finding this made my day. There's nothing better than a good sucker with a good friend...or a few good suckers with a good friend!
They are the cutest little buddies!