Sunday, November 22, 2009

Photo Shoot in Midway...

Saturday night we met my family up in Midway for an extended family picture. This last week as I've gotten outfits ready and talked with friends about family pictures, it's clear to me that every ones families are all the same when it comes to having family pictures taken...grin and bear it and hopefully everyone still likes each other in the end, oh, and to get a decent picture of everyone!
I can now say it was really fun. I look at these pictures today and feel so blessed to be married to this guy and to be my kids' mom...even though I had to walk out of sacrement meeting today carrying a half laughing/half crying three-year-old who was clinging to his older sister, saying "McKenna, I love you" because he knew what was coming once we left that chapel. All the while Garrett was up on the stand just smiling. I too smiled as I took this monkey into a room and sat him on a chair for some much needed 'reverence time.' I know that these days won't last forever and even realize they will be gone before I'm really ready for them to be gone. Yesterday morning Garrett was able to attend a training meeting for Stake Presidents and Bishops and be taught by President Boyd K. Packer and Elder Neil L. Anderson. He was grinning from ear to ear as he left the house...I think he had an idea of how blessed he is to be able to be taught at the feet of Apostles of the Lord. On our way to Midway, he shared with the family some of the things he was taught and some sacred things that strengthened his testimony.
The other day I had a great experience in the Ogden temple. I recently began reading the Book of Mormon again and was particularly touched by what I read that morning in 1st Nephi. It was when Nephi and his brothers' first attempted to get the brass plates from Laban and are unsuccessful, but Nephi continues in seeking after the plates and is led by the Spirit as to what he should do. This scripture in 1 Nephi 4:6 reads...'And I was led by the spirit not knowing beforehand the things which I should do.'
Just the day before a friend of mine asked how I was doing and then asked how Garrett was and if I've noticed much of a change in him since his call to be Bishop. I don't know if the changes are that apparent to most people - but his diligence and the time he puts into studying the scirptures and his dedication to prayer is evident to me and our family. It's always been natural for Garrett to bear testimony to the children and me in all that he says and does, he's always been quick to seek out teaching moments with the kids, he's always been valiant in leading our family in FHE, scripture study, family prayer and for many, many years has held regular personal interviews with each of the kids, but what is so apparent to me is that he is led by the Spirit in all he does. Sometimes he has no idea what is needed, yet, he goes forth and miracles happen. He is constantly aware of making sure the Holy Ghost is his constant companion. Today I'm truly thankful for tender mercies that are extended to me in small and simple ways. This scripture is how Garrett lives his life and it's how I want to live my life...ever faithful to be led by the Spirit and then diligent and humble enough to follow. I am one lucky lady!