Thursday, November 12, 2009

Understanding Value

Tonight Garrett is in Dallas at a CPE convention. The kids and I made a quick trip to the mall to look at boots for McKenna, pick up some birthday gifts for the girls' friends and get dinner at Chik-fil-a.
While shopping the mall the three younger kids were drawn to the game store in the middle of the mall with all of it's cool and unique games. Ashlyn, Colter and Wyatt fell in love with these little hexbugs that move, wiggle and even make sounds...they each wanted their own. I quickly reminded them that Christmas was coming and maybe Santa could bring them one. Later, McKenna pulled me aside and said 'mom, they are only going to play with those things for a few minutes then they will forget all about them...they are like junk, don't waste your money on those toys'.
She is seriously the sweetest thing, but then I had to remind her that before she become so smart and so understanding and so logical, she was the exact same way and had to have whatever the new toy was...but now looking back, maybe it was me that had to get it for her. I think she would have been just fine without whatever "it" was, that's just her personality. That became more apparent to me tonight as we looked at boots for her. There were darling boots all over the store and most were around $40 bucks. She takes good care of her things, so I was willing to pay that amount...she wasn't! She was so worried about the money she wouldn't get any. I was almost begging her to choose something, but then she said something that would make her daddy proud...she said "Mom, I really don't need them!" And ya know what...she's right, again! I seriously love this girl!