The other day we got word that McKenna's soccer team is planning to attend an upcoming tournament in Las Vegas. I didn't think much of it other than getting arrangements made so we could go, until I heard the days her team would play...Saturday and Sunday. My heart sank. In my naive little world I thought all of the parents would just let Ray know it wouldn't work out and another tournament would be scheduled.I was wrong. So wrong. But looking back I kind of thought we might be in the minority, which is pretty sad to me because I would say 90% of the team is active LDS.
We talked with McKenna about playing on Sunday and asked her what she thought. She was quiet for about three minutes and after I couldn't take it anymore I softly asked "What are you thinking?" She was so sombre and just said "Mom, there's no way I'm going to play on Sunday, but I need my team to know I am committed. What do we do?" This is exactly what I expected her to say. Last year when we traveled home from California on a Sunday she was adamant that we not buy any food on the way home...she was even sad we had to stop for gas. I already knew there was no way this little girl would choose to play on Sunday.
As we talked about commitment and about commandments with McKenna, my heart swelled with love for this beautiful daughter who understands there are times when she will have to stand alone. I just never thought it would come at such a young age.
We let the team mom know McKenna wouldn't be playing on Sunday and if we needed, we would pay for a guest player to take her place on the trip. She was understanding and told me Ray would probably want her there for the games on Saturday and she would just miss the Sunday game and that, so far, McKenna was the only one who wouldn't play...until a few minutes later, when Taylor's mom, Emily, let me know how grateful she was to us that Taylor wouldn't have to stand alone in this decision. McKenna and Taylor would have each other.
This isn't a hard choice and I'm thankful it wasn't hard for McKenna to make. I know she will be blessed for keeping a commandment.
p.s. Since writing this and looking at the school schedule I just noticed that one blessing already has come. McKenna will be off track during this tournament so she won't miss any school. It's interesting to me because about a month ago when I looked on the calendar I know I didn't see their next break until April, but looking last week I noticed this small 2-week break. I never remember having this small break before. A tender mercy.