My cute little nephew, Tanner, turned 8 on Saturday and was also baptized on the same day. Colter will follow close behind...these two boys were both supposed to be born in March, but Tanner decided to make his appearance more than three months early! Looking at him now you'd never know he was barely a pound a birth. A friend of mine who put together baptism videos for each of my girls, also put one together for Tanner. She brought over the final product late one evening when the kids were all in bed and Garrett was at the church house...so I put in the video, sat down and found myself just crying and crying. After the third or fourth time watching it I realized why it was having such an effect on me...it's hard to even put into words what I was feeling, I really don't think I can adequately express. There were lots of pictures of Tanner and his family, and him with his grandparents and cousins, but what caught my eye were the ones of Tanner and his little bro Ethan, always side-by-side. And in every picture I could just feel the joy and happiness that these boys feel and know in their everyday life. These boys are so loved! I really felt that Whitney (and Russ, too), has truly taken the time to really enjoy her boys at every age.
She is the kind of mom who plays video games with them and their friends, who joins in on the water gun and water balloon fights (and who sometimes even starts them!), who slides down the slides at the park, who plays tag and rolls down hills, who is willing to put on grandma's swimming suit just so she can swim with her boys, who just loves to be doing whatever her boys are doing. These boys are pretty lucky to have such a cool mom!
I feel that because these boys are growing up with a mom who is deaf, they are put in situations that most kids don't have to deal with. I see they are a little more patient and understanding of others needs, because they have to be extra patient and understanding with their mom. I know Whitney feels they are sometimes lacking in things like singing along to the radio in the car because she doesn't ever listen to the radio, but she makes up for these things. I see her boys being so diligent about talking so Whitney can understand them...they definitely have learned patience because they have to take the time to communicate and I see how she really has to be so much more aware of everything around her, so much more so than I do. I guess what I'm saying is, my sister, who is probably the most incredible woman I know, has really taken the time to make sure her boys get the most out of life...she doesn't let anything hold her back!
A few weeks ago Garrett attended a conference for area Bishops and Stake Presidents. He shared something with me and the kids that has stayed in my thoughts and my heart. He was taught that in a family, both moms and dads can receive revelations for their children and family, yet the mother, because she usually is more emotionally connected with her children and is generally the one home with the kids and also because her main focus can be on the family, is generally the one to receive personal revelation for her children and family. A lot of times this is true because dads are busy with work and providing for the family. I immediately felt the spirit testify that this was true. Since then, I have not been able to stop thinking about this conversation. Then Garrett shared a story with us that Elder Anderson told that morning. A story of a family that had lost a son. The parents were grief-stricken and could not be consoled as to why their son had died. One night in a dream that seemed so real, the boy appeared to his mom and told her everything was all right and that he was happy and then lovingly asked her to pass the message onto his dad...in her dream she remembers questioning her son as to why he couldn't just give the message to his dad himself. He quietly responded to his mom that he had tried many times, but that dad was just too busy to hear.
I don't ever want to miss the quiet promptings or revelations that might come to me. I especially don't want to miss them because I am too busy. But I know I get that way and I have to always be careful. I'm rambling...maybe it's because Whitney has been on my mind all day today.
One year ago today, their littlest son William returned to his Heavenly Father. Texting with her last night she said today was going to be a 'good day', but then when I mentioned how time has seemed to pass by she said "yeah, time flies...sucks!" Harsh but true.
This morning as I let Chopper out I stood outside for a few minutes and felt the snow gently fall into my hands. I stood still for a few minutes and 'listened' to the silence and the white all around. It reminded me of William's funeral and the snow that fell that morning. Everything was pure white. Probably as it is in heaven. Happy Birthday Will!
p.s. I hope it's been a good day for her!