Tuesday, January 19, 2010

An Eventful Afternoon

This picture was taken just minutes before...With the way Colt plays, I knew something like this was bound to happen sooner or later so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.
Yesterday, while sledding in Midway, Colt crashed right into Kenna and Wyatt. I stood at the top of the hill and watched, thinking he would just jump up and everything would be OK, instead he slowly and groggily stood up then screamed "I knocked out a tooth!" while holding a piece of it in his black glove.
I don't remember this, but McKenna says I immediately began screaming as I ran down the hill. I got closer and realized he had knocked out one of his permanent front teeth and chipped the other front tooth. Blood was everywhere in his mouth and lip because he had punctured his bottom lip during the knock-out. For a second I panicked and began looking through the white snow for his white tooth, then I looked over at Colt who was in obvious pain with tears streaming down his face and I, too wanted to cry for this cute little boy who hasn't even had his permanent teeth for a year.
I quickly called my good friend, Carrie, whose husband is our dentist and he said they could get him in as quickly as I could get to their office. We jumped into the golf cart and made our way back to grandma and grandpa's and let them know we needed to make a quick trip to see our dentist...they watched over the others so I could take Colt to see Dr. Anderson.
Garrett was fishing the Provo and I wasn't able to reach him until we were half-way down Parley's Canyon. When I told him what had happened and where we were, he just kept saying "That's my boy!" with a hint of laughter in his voice. Such different reactions from mom and dad. Garrett always knows just what to say to bring things back into perspective for me.
With a little begging and with my dad's help I was able to get this picture to show dad the damage...and for posterity's sake.
Colt was so funny on the laughing gas. I think sometimes he wanted to cry, but instead would laugh and be goofy. After leaving Dr. Anderson's office we stopped for a shake and fries and then an exhausted little boy slept the whole way back to Midway. We are blessed with good friends like the Anderson's who take care of our family and our teeth!Tuesday morning we woke to quite a few inches of new snow. Garrett plowed the driveway and after prayer, he ventured off to work. I was worried about him driving on highway 40 and down Parley's with so much snow, but he reassured me he would be alright. He called a few times to tell me how many cars had slid off the road...so we decided that the kids and I would spend the day in Midway.
With it still dark outside, the kids slowly began waking up and coming downstairs one by one. We all cuddled together on the couch and watched cartoons until the satelitte stopped working from all the snowfall, then we bundled up and then went outside to play in the snow with Chopper. The snow was perfect for building a snowman and a snowfort. It was an eventful extended weekend...and we finally made it home safe!
Colt's new tooth and new smile.