Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Simple Prayer

Tonight I was in the office reading a conference address given by President Monson to the Young Women entitled "May You Have Courage." McKenna came in, sat down next to me and began talking about life, friends, soccer and generally everything under the sun (she loves to talk). I put the article down and listened as she shared an experience she had today with prayer and Heavenly Father answering her prayer.
Her first indoor game this morning was at 9:00, her second indoor game at noon and then a futsal game tonight at 5:30. In her second game today she started as goalie and at half time usually trades with Maddie, they were tied 2-2 and because the other team was so tough her coach decided he wanted McKenna to stay in as goalie. She told me that as she walked to the goal box she said a little prayer and asked Heavenly Father to help her do her best as goalie. She knew her team would be counting on her. I sat listening as my sweet little girl shared such a tender moment.
We weren't at her second game, she went with her friend McKahl and I took the other kids home to play with friends. She said her team scored again, so they were ahead 3-2 and she felt the pressure to not let any balls get past her. Then the other team got to take a penalty shot. She told me how she relied on that prayer and knew Heavenly Father would help her do her best. The girl began dribbling the ball towards her and she felt the prompting to charge her and cut off her angle. She told me how she kicked the ball away from the girl and saved the game. With a huge smile she told me that everyone was chanting her name over and over. I was sad I missed such a great game and such a great moment for her!
She talked about the great friends she has on her team and how much fun they have together and how much fun we are going to have at the Las Vegas tournament. Then the conversation turned to her friends at school and how sometimes there is drama with some girls at school and how sometimes these girls aren't always nice to everyone and how some boys at school are mean to some of the more quiet and shy boys and how sad it makes her feel. She is pretty perceptive of people's feelings.
I shared with her a story from the article I had just been reading. In it President Monson tells of a young girl who isn't accepted in her YW group until a new girl moves in and doesn't limit her friendships...this new girl is instantly popular and seeks out this girl who is left behind and becomes her friend. Soon the other girls want to be her friend, too. I shared with McKenna how in the talk, President Monson encourages the young women to have the courage to not judge others and to treat everyone as a child of God, to see everyone the way Heavenly Father sees them.
I couldn't take my eyes off her. I just kept looking at her, smiling at her and thanking her for being close to the Spirit, for relying on the Lord and for realizing that her prayer was answered, then I asked her if she remembered to give thanks for her answered prayer...I knew I didn't need to ask because I already felt she had. I'm so thankful for the way she is living her life.