Friday, May 14, 2010

Just Observing...

A few times this year I've had the opportunity to be in Colter's class and read with a few of the kids. This last week as I sat waiting for the next child to come back to the desk, I had a few minutes and just silently watched Colt in his element in his class. I watched as he corrected a paper he had worked on earlier. He had no idea I was watching him. I sat watching as he went down the list and at the end of the paper realized he had them all right. I heard him say a little quiet "yes" while making a fist with his hand and pulling it into his side.
I love that he is confident, that he thinks it's so cool to be smart and that he loves school and that he thrives in school. I love this boy...it wasn't anything grand, but watching him made me smile and truly made my heart swell with thanks for my many blessings, one of them being a great school that my kids have the opportunity to go to.
Next year our incredible, amazing principle, Mr. Venable, will be moving onto another school...to make another school as great as Bluff Ridge. We're going to miss him terribly - he is the reason Bluff Ridge is so incredible.