Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Day With my Dad...

It's been far too long since I've spent a whole day with my dad and I guess I didn't realize what I've really been missing until Friday night when I looked at what my dad and I had accomplished together and how much I had learned from him during the day.  Garrett and I have been wanting to finish our kitchen with a white subway tile back splash since having our counter tops redone and we knew we needed my dads help.  So we booked my dad to come up and help on Saturday, but some things began getting in the way for the job to be done on Saturday, so he and my mom came on Friday...my mom comes for the moral support and for the adventure, but coming on Friday, meant that Garrett wouldn't be home to help, so I knew I would need to step up to the challenge.  

My dad brought up all of his tools and everything we would need to do the job right and we jumped right in.  He would carefully show me how to measure and lay out the tiles, how to cut the tiles by either using the saw, the clipper tools or the scorer thingy and how to set the tiles and then he would turn to me with an excited grin and say 'Your turn!'  I was thrilled to learn this new skill from my dad, yet a little hesitant because I didn't want to do it wrong...even though I'm almost 40, I think I still want to please my dad and have him think I'm capable. 

We worked side by side all day and I grew to love and appreciate my dad even more. It was fun to reconnect with him on a different level.  It was like the old days, but better because this time as my dad was teaching me, I was listening and learning and taking it all in...I wasn't the immature 12 year old girl that thought she knew everything and made sure he knew that. 

My dad's not as young as he once was and his strong and tanned hands now shake when he tries to write or draw a straight line and sometimes when I see this, tears quickly fill my eyes.  I remember his beautiful cursive writing that always came so effortlessly.  His white hair is no longer the jet black color I remember it being as I grew up under his watchful care.  I really do forget that he's almost 70 because he still does whatever we ask (or whatever we need) with a smile and all the energy he can muster.  He is an amazing man...always serving his family and friends and he has the best smile!
Later that night, I texted my dad and said "I hope you're already in bed...but I just wanted to say thanks for coming over today.  That was a lot of fun!  I sure love you, Dad...I hope you always know that!"  his reply was "Yeah, I'm in bed reading.  It was a great day. I really enjoyed it and we got a lot done and that's always a lot of fun.  I enjoyed working with you.  Love you, Dad."  I am blessed to be his daughter.

Tomorrow our new stainless steel refrigerator, oven and microwave will be delivered and Garrett and I hope to finish placing a few tiles and grout it all.  It's beautiful!!