Friday, February 3, 2012

Happy Birthday Babe!!

We definitely get our fill of cake around this time of year.  With Ashlyn's birthday being the day before her dad's we have lots of cake to fill our tummies.  Garrett's pretty consistent with wanting a chocolate roll cake and this year he said it was the best he's ever had...maybe because Ashlyn helped make it.  Dad got a new hard cover traveling case for his fly reels and rods for when he's guiding, plus a stash of his favorite drinks and snack foods to keep at his office. 

We had our young women's New Beginnings that night and Garrett spoke to the girls about how to become 'Children of Light'.  He spoke from Thessalonians 5 verses 16-23, teaching our girls and all the young women to rejoice, to pray, to quench not the Spirit, to prove all things and hold fast that which is good, to abstain from all appearances of evil and if they do so then they have the promise given in verse 23 'And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly.'  He testified that they are children of light and told the girls that if they ever have a question, that they can pray to Heavenly Father and ask and He will make the answer known unto them...it was powerful! 

He is more than I ever hoped for in a husband.  I love watching him kneel in prayer every night and morning, or ponder over his scriptures, I love that he empties the dishwasher when he notices it's full and he enjoys doing the dishes, I love that he finishes every job he starts, I love that he drives the kids to piano and their activities and spends that one-on-one time with them, I love that he looks for ways to silently serve me, I especially love that he takes me on sunny beach vacations and I love that he let's me sleep in when the kids are off-track, even if he has to iron his own shirt.  He is a dad who is hands on with each of our children, he kisses and hugs them each daily, he teaches and trains and counsels each one of them in their specific needs and desires and struggles and triumphs, he loves being a father and takes pride in that calling. 

He is also an amazing Bishop...this last week in his 5th Sunday lesson he issued an invitation to all the adults to complete the required value experiences for Good Works outlined in the young women's personal progress book.  He feels this will change our ward.  I know if our neighbors accept this invitation it will bring their families closers and increase their love for their friends and neighbors through service.  I'm grateful for the promptings and impressions Garrett feels and the responsibility he feels as Bishop of the Maplewood Ward.  I look back on how quickly the three years since being called as a bishop have passed and realize these next three years will go just as quickly.  I have loved this time and I know even with all the heartache and trials that he hears about, he genuinely loves being a bishop.  He truly loves everyone in our ward, especially the youth and feels such a tremendous responsibility to lead them to light.  He has grown in ways I never thought possible, or never thought was needed.  We are blessed.