Friday, October 29, 2010

Colt's Birdhouse...

Many years ago, I think when we moved into our home here in Syracuse, grandpa Nichol made the kids an awesome birdhouse for the backyard. It has lasted 10 years in the rain and snow and sun, but this last summer we had to take it down and throw the house out. Colt wanted to build a new one that would fit on the post and in doing so completed his last requirement to earn his Wolf. Colt and dad had a great time working on that birdhouse all day Saturday and then he and I painted it. It looks awesome in our backyard and is big enough for lots of birds to live in. The next month at pack meeting Colt earned his Wolf! p.s. Today I helped at one of Colt's cub meetings and witnessed a few great moments. We were all getting ready to go outside for some outdoor cooking and everyone needed to wear a jacket. Colt's good friend, Seth, forgot his jacket and so the den leader got out one of her younger sons jackets that was way to small, Seth was hesitant and didn't want to wear the smaller coat...Colt was standing right by him overhearing the whole thing and jumped in and said "Seth, why don't you wear mine and I'll wear that one!" What a great thing to do. Seth was so happy and I know Colt felt good too...he looked at me and I winked at him. I love this boy!

Then a few minutes later while the boys were cooking their hamburgers a few of them got mixed up and again Seth accidentally had some seasonings put on his burger that he didn't want...Colt immediately offered Seth his burger without the seasonings. I am so proud of this kid...what a great day with my cute cub scout!