Colt's birthday began with breakfast in bed, then donuts for his class and Wyatt and I even stopped over with our traditional 'Candy-gram' to wish him Happy Birthday and embarass him in front of his friends...he loved it and so did his buddies, Drake, Brackton, Ammon and Dylan.
I can't believe Colt's now 9! But reall,y I don't think I could ever forget that his birthday was coming because he reminded us every day beginning about a month before and he even began researching the specific Lego sets he wanted as gifts and would ask me or dad everyday to take him to Walmart just to look at all the Legos...we went over once and spent about 45 minutes just in the Lego isle. He cracks us up and sometimes drives us crazy because once he gets an idea in his head it is there until it's completed.
He began counting down the days to his birthday in February and then suggested we have a Surprise Party for him because he's always wanted a surprise party. How does that work when he's the one to suggest it and put it together?? It doesn't. So, the girls and I, along with my sister's help, put one together and it was awesome!! With his birthday being on Sunday, he really wanted to have his friend party the Friday or Saturday before, and I secretly had already planned to have it Friday afternoon and invitations were sent out and I was hopeful we could keep this a Surprise...but I told him we couldn't because Ashlyn had an Activity Days Fireside I needed to be with her on Friday night and then Saturday night was the YW Broadcast that McKenna and I would be at downtown. He was sooo bummed and couldn't understand why he would have to wait until the next weekend. It was hard seeing the disappointment on his face, but I knew he would forgive me once he walked in that door Friday afternoon.
It took a lot of coordinating with my sister to get Colt away for a few hours while we set up all the balloons and while everyone arrive. She had the perfect plan to take Colt and her boys over to Walmart so he could pick out his own Lego set from Tanner and Ethan. It worked perfectly! I was so excited to see his reaction when he walked in and saw his cousins and friends...when he came in the front door, he just stood there...I think he was overwhelmed and had no idea how to react with all the balloons and screaming boys. It was great!
We ate mummy hotdogs and chips, opened presents, ate Lego cake and ice cream and then did crazy science experiements involving dry ice, mentos and diet coke and played 'will it sink or float.' I loved having Whitney there to help me keep all these boys in line...she is so great with boys. During one of the experiements where we put food coloring in the jars she began putting it on Colt's tongue and then all the kids wanted some...she is awesome! It had snowed and rained all day, but an hour before the party it cleared up and was beautiful outside, perfect for our outdoor experiements. Colt was thrilled with his first Surprise Party! He kept telling me it was the best birthday ever! Wyatt wants the same kind of party next month...we'll see.







