Tuesday night as I was getting the kids packed for our Thanksgiving weekend adventures, Ashlyn came into the room and told me Kenna was downstairs in tears. I rushed downstairs to see what was wrong and she said "Conner hates me!" I hugged her tight and she cried. I asked what had happened and she didn't know anything she had done to make him hate her.
She asked if I could drive her to his house so she could talk with him. He wasn't home and he wouldn't come home to talk to her, but he did tell his mom what was making him so mad...Trudy and I have become friends through our kids liking each other. She's great and loves McKenna. Trudy explained that Kenna's soccer teammate McKahl, who Conner goes to school with, sent a text to Conner saying that Kenna really liked Carson, Conner's friend. Kenna was mad...she had never said that, but she did know that McKahl liked Carson and so maybe she was jealous. Kenna looked at me and said "Take me to McKahl's now!" I was surprised at her level headed thinking and we drove to McKahl's so she could figure this out. McKahl admitted that Kenna had never said that and she didn't know why she texted that to Conner and said she was so sorry and Kenna felt she really was. But before leaving she asked McKahl to text Conner and tell him the truth and so she did, but Conner still didn't want to believe it. This was two days before Thanksgiving when we were to leave for San Diego for Kenna's soccer tournament and she was brokenhearted. I cried with her most of the night as she began to realize that she and Conner were breaking up. Even through all the tears she kept saying "Mom, this is for the best...I'm too young to have a boyfriend, anyway!" She has loved having a boyfriend, but she's also smart to realize that there is a time for that and maybe right now isn't the time...where did she come from??
Wednesday we made Thanksgiving dinner and had grandpa Sill over for dinner because grandma Sill is in Portland with Amberly and Mike. He was so good and tender to McKenna and tried to get her to laugh through all of her tears. He is so funny. At one point at dinner he was talking about President John F. Kennedy's assassination and how the gunman was such a quack...that one word made the girls laugh like crazy and so we kept saying it over and over!
These experiences are hard, but I'm beginning to understand that these experiences are for our good. Everything we feel and experience is to help us somehow or help us help someone else...we may not understand just now but if we open our hearts and seek for the guidance of the spirit during these tough times I know we will be blessed. I know Kenna will grow from this experience...she already has.