Friday, December 9, 2011

Kenna Marie...

Wednesday Kenna got the news that she didn't make the ODP team.  It was a tough night with lots of tears, but also lots of growth.  Kenna was with the young women at Temple Square when I called her with the news.  Not the best way to get bad news...but I told her dad would be there soon to give her a hug and he was. 

This last month, Kenna, Garrett and I have all grown in ways that I had never expected.  I've thought a lot about what Joseph Smith said while in the Carthage jail, that every experience shall be for our good.  It's become so apparent to me that every experience, challenge, trial, triumph and success shall be for our good, especially our tough moments.  To understand what we are to learn through our heartaches, challenges and trail we only need to come to the Lord in prayer and He will open our eyes and our understanding. I know this to be true...I've felt it so much this past month.

Late that night as I went downstairs to kiss Kenna goodnight, she shared something with me that I will cherish forever.  She quietly said "Mom, dad showed so much compassion to me tonight.  He really was so tender with me.  And then when it was time to ride home from Temple Square and my friends asked me to ride with them, I turned and looked at dad and said thanks, but tonight I'm going to ride home with my dad."  That touched my heart.  She told me how much she loves dad and how good he is to her.  I said goodnight to her and ran upstairs to tell G. He was quiet as I retold him what Kenna had said.  We both smiled.  Usually when there's heartache or disappointment in our family,  I'm the one that is more emotional about it...I tend to let the kids cry about whatever is making them sad and G is one to take more of the approach that everything will be ok, it's not that big of a deal.  But he's beginning to soften a little and understand that yes it may not be a big deal in 5 years or probably even 5 months, but right now it is everything to them and it is a huge deal and it's ok to be sad for a day or so and then pick yourself up and move on.  I feel blessed.