At Kenna's last ODP tryout in the last 10 minutes of play she was in as keeper. She said a silent prayer that she would have an amazing save that would show the coaches just how much she wants to be a part of this team...her prayer was answered, not exactly how she imagined, but it was answered. Just minutes later, she had an amazing save, but along with that save she also got a swollen nose (not broken, but badly bruised) and a HUGE fat lip from the girl, Kylie, who used to be on her La Roca team, kneeing her in the face as Kenna went to make the save. She immediately got a bloody nose and blood was everywhere, but she jumped up and threw the ball out and kept on playing. The head coach stopped the game and told her she needed to come out...she told him she could continue to play and he said "No, you can't, we need to have your nose and mouth looked at by the doctor." She knew it was bad, but not until she saw her reflection in the window of Todd's car did she know it was that bad.
She sat on the side line with Greg Maas, the coach for Kenna's age group, and chatted with him for about 10 minutes. He is also a keeper. He began talking with Kenna asking her who she plays for (Ray used to be Greg's assistant coach with ODP and Greg knows Ray well and knows he only trains the best, so that was a huge plus for Kenna) and Kenna was quick to point out that the girl didn't score on her...he said she is a true keeper! She was sore and hurting, but what a great opportunity for her to talk to him. She will find out on Wednesday if she makes the team.
Sunday morning I woke up and had decided that if Kenna wanted to stay home from Church, I would let her just so she could rest and get better for school on Monday. I slept with her Saturday night just so I could keep Tylenol and Advil in her through the night and so I could hold her and take care of her like I used to when she wasn't so grown up. I sometimes look at her and remember the tiny little white-haired girl she seemed to be just yesterday and I fall in love with her all over again. We snuggled all night and as I got up to shower I noticed her lip and nose were still so swollen. So much so, that she doesn't even look like my McKenna.
An hour later, I saw her come up the stairs all ready for church. I asked her if she wanted to stay home and she quickly replied "No, I'm good, everyone at church knows what I usually look like." Wow, I was taught a great lesson by my 13 year old daughter. She is not vain,she is not superficial, she is not worried what others think of her, she has more courage than I think I've ever had.