Wednesday, December 14, 2011

My Sister...

Where do I begin?  It seems every year I'm writing about another trial Whitney is facing.  Sunday night as she was leaving my parent's house she felt a severe pain in her neck.  They went to Russ' parent's house and while there, her left arm went numb and later her leg.  Russ took her to the emergency room and they transferred her to St. Marks hospital.  A main artery in her neck had ruptured causing blood not to flow properly to her brain...she had suffered a stroke and luckily Russ was with her when it happened.  She mentioned to the doctor that if she had been home alone, she probably would have just layed down on the couch until she felt better and the doctor said "or until someone found you there dead!"  It was an eye opener. 

I hate getting that call from my mom...I can tell in her voice the minute I say hello and she answers back.  I could just sense that something had happened to Whitney, I've had that call too many times. I called Garrett in an emotional wreck needing his calming influence. He knew just what to say.  I started by saying "What if Friday was the last day I would have been able to have with her?"

Friday I was able to spend the day with Whitney and her boys...it was William's 3rd birthday.  We met at his grave and celebrated his birthday with donuts, marshmallows (to hopefully bring the deer to his grave), sparklers and lots of tears.  Whitney is so brave and so strong.  I watched through my tears as she held back her tears and diligently tried to light the little candles she had brought for Will, the wind kept blowing them out...she went through the whole box of matches just wanting one to work for him.  I felt her sadness and yet she smiled and joked with Tanner and Ethan that William must be blowing them out just as fast as she tries to light them...just like 3 year-olds do!  I was so impressed with her strength.  I should have told her that.  I watched as Tanner and Ethan took special care to gently place their cards and talk to their brother, Will.  I felt like I was standing on holy ground watching this sacred tradition that their family has chosen to be a part of.  I don't know how my sister forges on, but she always does it with grace and a huge smile.

As I talked to Garrett, he immediately said "Steph, if Friday was the last day you saw your sister, what a blessing that would be in your life.  You chose the best part that day.  You have to know Heavenly Father's plan is a perfect plan.  There's meant to be trials and suffering and even loss, one day she will die, one day I will die and one day you will die and you have to be able to let your faith carry you through and trust that in the end all will be just as it should be. You have to let the atonement heal you.  You have to have faith."  He always knows exactly what to say to bring me back...I am so lucky to have him to rely on.  I've thought about that a lot since Monday morning and I do know and trust in our Heavenly Father's plan of happiness.  Whitney has been close to death many times in her life, and I'm just grateful she came through again. 

I got the kids off to school and drove to St. Marks to see Whitney and to bring her boys home with us for the week, luckily they are off track.  She looked good and it was fun to visit with her and Dave and my dad. 

During her pregnancy with Ethan, eight years ago, Whitney got pregnancy induced high blood pressure and it's stayed with her ever since.  She takes a pill every day to maintain a normal blood pressure level and has been warned that if she forgets her pill just one day, she could have a massive stroke.  Over the years she has forgotten a day or two, but her body has generally been strong and she has avoided a stroke.  But now it seems her arteries are getting weaker and pumping the blood through her body it getting harder on her body...she forgot to take her pill on Sunday and late that night she had a stroke.

I was so excited to bring Tanner and Ethan home with me...I knew Colt and Wyatt would be ecstatic to see them and know they were spending the week with us, but the greater surprise came when I saw how Ashlyn and McKenna were just as excited.  I had told Ashlyn, Colt and Wyatt about Whitney being in the hospital, but Kenna had already left for school when my mom called that morning, so when Tanner and Ethan jumped out of the Yukon at home she ran over to them and hugged them and then questioned why they were here...just kind of nonchalantly I said "Whitney will probably be in the hospital all week, so we get to have them with us."  Kenna looked at me in shock...I hadn't let her know and she was immediately scared.  I told her about aunt Whitney and she ran to her room to get her phone to text her.  She loves her aunt Whitney!!

The boys have been awesome...Legos are their favorite thing in the world and they spend hours creating cities, trucks, ships, planes and anything else you can think of.  We played charades for FHE and had so much fun...everyone was laughing out loud and making fools of themselves...it was great!  We went swimming over at the Anderson's indoor pool and they loved that.  Kenna babysat and made cookies with the boys one night while G and I went to the temple.  Ash babysat one night while G and I went suit shopping and visited a good friend.  One day we went over to the school and surprised Colt and Ashlyn with pizza and yogurt parfaits for lunch.  The boys have laughed way too much...it's funny how they just look at each other and giggle...well, it's not funny when they are doing this at 10:30 at night :) 

Wednesday night as I texted Whitney I could sense a sadness from her...that she missed her boys.  Thursday morning I could sense that same longing in Tanner, so I told the boys we were going to spend the day with their mom at the hospital...they were so excited to see their mom.  We spent the afternoon with her and enjoyed lunch from Crown Burger. 

Whitney has a good friend that just had a stillborn baby.  She has been helping her through the tough days and I know Mindy is grateful to her.  Whitney mentioned that Mindy had come to the hospital to see her.  She said they shared a smile when Mindy said "Come on, I know it's only been a few weeks, but really, Whitney, why is it you that has to take the spotlight from me?  Couldn't someone else take it this time??  But seeing you in here has made me realize that it's time for me to serve others, like I've been served."  Wow...that's the gospel of Jesus Christ in action.  We go through these life experiences so we may have compassion and help others through the same trials...we are served and we in turn serve others. 

My sister is amazing!!  I feel so blessed to be Whitney's sister...I say that all the time, but I want my girls to know how lucky they are to have each other...to have a sister.  What a blessing and strength and example of love a sister can be!

I've also been more aware lately how truly blessed I am with friends in my life that are so good.  The other night while at the temple with many of our best friends, Diane noticed that I was having an especially hard time.  Whitney was on my mind and another good friend, too and I think I was just feeling emotionally exhausted.  I was about to enter into my little dressing room and just broke down sobbing, Diane heard my crying.  I pulled myself together and saw Diane out in the main area of the dressing room.  She hugged me and said "Steph, I know you put your sister's name in the temple, but I want you to know I put your name in, too."  I'm grateful to Diane for that.  I didn't fully realize the love in that simple gesture until Wednesday morning when I woke feeling such peace and comfort and remembered the kindness of a friend.  I truly felt those prayers buoy me up.