Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Few Tears...and Lessons Learned

Monday night as we gathered for Family Home Evening, Garrett asked Colter to offer the prayer. He was being a little silly and not really prepared to pray, so we waited and eventually McKenna ended up offering the prayer. Then, as I began the lesson, Colter covered his ears and giggled. Granted it had been a long day...first day back on-track, homework, then playing with Kobe and Trey and even eating dinner with them and then home for FHE, so he was kind of in a silly mood, but still no reason to not be reverent and listen.
Well, Garrett wasn't up for any messing around so sent him to his room for the night. My heart went out to Colter...I had prepared a great lesson on Temples, we had just attended the Draper Temple dedication on Sunday, and felt this lesson would be so good for him to hear, but, I'm so glad Garrett doesn't tolerate that kind of behavior and that he teaches lovingly and after he counsels with the kids, always shows forth extra love - he is such an example to me. I gave the lesson and bore my testimony of the important of Temples. All the while, in the background I could hear Colter quietly crying. What was funny to me, was that as the rest of us all sat together, Wyatt began crying because he wanted Colter to be with us...just last week (last Monday, in fact) Wyatt had bitten Colter's arm really hard, hard enough to take skin...ouch. Well, Wyatt ended up in his room for the night for that and for also saying "mom, my hate you." So, while we were having FHE without Wyatt (last week, this exact time), Colter sat on the couch with his head buried into the back of the couch, crying and pleading with us to let Wyatt join us...saying "I love my brother and I want him to be a part of our family." It touched my heart. We had to help Colter understand that Wyatt was just fine in his bedroom and that he had to suffer the consequences of his actions...
it was so hard on Colter. His heart is so pure.
Tonight as everyone finished their brownies, I went in and layed down with Colter and just held him as he continued to cry...oh, my sweet boy! He kept saying "I really wanted to hear you bear your testimony mom, I just want to be part of the family again." What a tender-hearted boy. I love him so much! I bore my testimony to him and shared a little of the lesson and promised to make more brownies for him tomorrow and teach him the full lesson when he gets home from school. He was happy with that. I then asked him if he would try harder to be reverant and respectful during FHE...he quickly said "definitely, mom, I never want to miss out on being with the family again." Then he smiled as he shared with me that dad had brought him in a brownie...just then Garrett walked in and again told Colter how much he loves him.
Being a parent is sometimes heart-breaking...sometimes challenging...but, so rewarding and better than anything in the world! A friend of mine mentioned that teaching and guiding our children is really just walking beside them, showing them the way, just as our Heavenly Father walks beside us...I love that thought.