Monday, March 2, 2009

My Heart...by Colter

Going through a bunch of Colter's school papers, I found a little booklet entitled My Heart. I flipped through it and smiled at his cute pictures and his phonetically spelled words. One page in particular tugged at my heart...
Most nights, Garrett says personal prayers with Colt, tucks him in, then reads a few pages in his Star Wars paperback and I go through the night time ritual with Wyatt in his room next door. Garrett usually peeks his head into Wyatt's room, or wheverever I might be, and says, "Colt wants you to tuck him in." It's a simple enough request. I hate to admit it, but some nights after getting Wyatt down I forget, I get distracted, or by the time I've gone in he's already asleep - he's like me in that way, his head hits that pillow and he's dreaming. Well, one page in his 'heart' book read:
Oh, my shoulders slumped...I can't explain the guilt and sadness I felt when I saw that. My tender-hearted boy really loves to be tucked in. I went on a search to find my Colter boy and smothered him with loves. I talked with him about being 'tuct' in... he told me how much he loves it and how sometimes he hears me talking on the phone and he thinks I'm just too busy...oh, my heart broke! I'm determined to be better at tucking him in each night! Here are a few more of his cute pages...
Colt and Wyatt love to 'resel'. Just last night I came home from a meeting and found Wyatt asleep on the couch next to Garrett - it was only 6:30, but because Garrett, Colter and Wyatt had spent the last hour wrestling he was wiped out...life is good!