The first week of being off-track has come and gone. We've been busy playing with friends, visiting the library, working on humanitarian projects, late-nights, babysitting, reading, playing outside with Chopper Chip, going to birthday parties, Activity days, basketball games, soccer games, dance, tumbling, visiting teaching conferences, bowling with friends, Kodiac Camp training for Garrett, lunch with friends, and for me...dinner, reminiscing and a little shopping with my lifelong girlfriends, Britt and Dani (BJ, we missed you)...It's been a great week.
Wyatt...McKenna...Colter...Ashlyn
Wyatt is an awesome bowler...he even bowled his first strike (with a little help from his big sis). Wyatt's favorite thing about bowling was definitely the shoes...he liked them so much he tried to wear them home. I didn't realize this until we were in the car, all buckled and ready to go home...I started to back up and heard McKenna saying "mom, he's still wearing his bowling shoes." Aaaghh...we laughed as I pried them off his little feet. He did not want to part with those shoes. What a crack up!
This was the reaction I got when I asked Wyatt to take his bowling shoes off...not going to happen! the gang...Ashlyn, Mitch, McKenna, Alec, Jacob, Colter and Wyatt
As much as I am loving this new little puppy, he sure is a lot of work...well, not necessarily work, more like emotionally exhausting. I want to do it right! Kennel training, potty training, obedience training...all of it. The first night with Chopper I expected the worst, thinking he would be up all night whining or barking. We were totally surprised when he whimpered a minute, then went right to sleep. He has a great temperament, obeys pretty quickly, nips at everything in sight and everyone (but, I know this will come to an end), is now sleeping through the nights and is so dang cute. I've never trained a puppy before - I really didn't know what to expect. I read a few books and felt pretty confident before we got him...then reality set it and I'm realizing (at least for me) it's harder than having a newborn (maybe because that was always easy). The part I didn't think about was being able to get away for the day...that's not easy and it's something I've had to adjust to. Maybe that's the tough part for me. But, he's quickly become part of the family and the neighborhood, too. Every day he has quite a few visitors and loves to run with the kids and neighbors in the yard. Nighttime is my favorite with Chopper, when the kids have gone to bed and he just snuggles up in my lap. I love that he comes to me over everyone else... he knows his mama.