Last night we had the opportunity to do a session at the Ogden Temple with many of our friends and neighbors in the Legacy Park Stake. This Sunday is Stake Conference, and along with having Elder Richard G. Scott come and speak to us, we will also be sustaining a new Stake Presidency. Saturday's adult session with Elder Scott was remarkable. It was as if we were being taught at his feet...not from the pulpit. It was so intimate. He was engaging, funny, witty, humble, and testified so powerfully of the power in reading the scriptures. He taught us how to study the scriptures so they could have more meaning in our own lives. It was unforgettable. We have been encouraged the last few weeks, by President Elmore, to take the time to read some of Elder Scott's previous conference talks. As a family we took on this challenge and have had our testimonies strengthened and have felt the blessings of heaven pour upon us as we've learned about this great man. We've learned more about his personal life and more about his testimony of the Savior. My kids' favorite talk was entitled "Do The Right Thing"...after reading together, I told the kids how I had made a choice, when I was about their age, to never taste alcohol, to never smoke a cigarette, to never do drugs and to plan to be married in the Temple and for the boys to be like their dad and prepare now to serve a mission. Even though temptations came to drink (never really to smoke or do drugs) I had already made the choice not to. I asked each of them to make the same choices right now so that when a temptation is placed before them they will already know their choice. It was a powerful moment with the kids...I know they will be tempted and will sometimes have to stand alone, but like the song says: "Do what is right, let the consequence follow." Only good consequences will come from choosing the right.We have been blessed immensely through following President Lyle Elmore's counsel. We will miss him as our Stake President. He has personally guided and taught our family many gospel truths and principles. He is a great friend and mentor and has brought our family to another level. While Garrett served as 2nd counselor in the bishopric with Bishop Burton, he had many opportunities to be taught at the feet of President Elmore, one-on-one and in many group meetings (or places of revelation). As a family, we have been obedient in all he has asked...he counseled against sleepovers and we readily obeyed, he counseled against using face cards and we followed, he asked us to be seated for Sacrament meeting and other meetings 7 minutes prior in order to enjoy the music, ponder and be ready to receive personal revelation, he counseled to not watch TV while away on business trip, so when Garrett's next business trip came around he was obedient and took along his scriptures. Because of that, he has received numerous blessings. His hotel rooms become places of revelation from choosing to study and ponder the scriptures. President Elmore has raised the bar for us as a stake and for our little family and for that I am overwhelmingly appreciative. His loving influence and his boldness in challenging us to do hard things, to step out of our comfort zone and sometimes stand alone has been a blessing in our family. I hope to instill that in our children. Because they can...they can accomplish and do hard things! Things that make us stretch, and grow, and build character...worthwhile things.
I watch as Garrett leads our family in family scripture study, Family Home Evening and family prayer. I am amazed at his goodness and his constant desire to memorize scripture passages and seek out ways to strengthen and increase his testimony and in turn help our children's testimonies to grow. His dedication to the Lord is unwavering and something I admire about him. Our family scripture study takes place every morning at 6:30 a.m. The kids are all early risers , plus they love to see their dad before he heads off to work, so this is a great way to start the day. With the kids being off-track right now, Garrett is letting us all sleep in on Tuesdays and Thursdays...he's counting on me to lead out in family scripture study on those days and I'm grateful for that opportunity and glad that I can meet up to the challenge. The other day as the kids and I were playing games on the floor I mentioned it was time for scripture study...their willingness and excitement over reading the scriptures is due in large part to the way Garrett teaches them directly from the scriptures and helps them apply it in their lives, right now. I continue to learn as he expounds on passages as we read together. As we sat on the floor and read in Alma about Ammon and King Lamoni I was overcome by the Spirit. I remember looking up at each one of my kids while McKenna was reading...the Spirit was present and bore testimony to me of the importance that what we were doing was true. Amongst the craziness that oftentimes surrounds our home, it was a welcomed glimpse of heaven. It's something I won't forget.
Again, just this morning as we all sat together for family scripture study, especially after our incredible Stake Conference weekend, I was emotional as we read about Aaron teaching King Limhi the Gospel and King Limhi asking what he needed to do to have the Spirit with him and then telling Aaron he would give up all the has, even his Kingdom, to have the Spirit. Garrett asked each of the kids what they've had to give up or what they would give up to live the Gospel. Colter mentioned he would give up his bike if her were asked, Ashlyn said she gives up her sleep to read as a family (she's the only one who would like to sleep in) and McKenna said she gives up her money by paying tithing. He then asked me the same question...I couldn't speak. I answered that anything I've had to give up, really doesn't seem like a sacrifice because of what I've gained...a testimony, a love for the scriptures, blessings from being a full tithe payer...it's all little compared to what I've received by keeping the commandments of the Lord and having the Holy Ghost as a companion. Garrett then talked about serving his mission in Guatemala and how, as a 19 year-old kid, he thought giving up two years of his life to serve the Lord was a sacrifice, but in actuality, he received the greater blessing...a stronger testimony of the Gospel, a passionate love for the scriptures that is unwavering, a love for the Guatemalan people and a desire to serve the Lord every day.
I am saddened that so many boys don't take advantage of serving a mission. Elder Scott mentioned not serving a mission is like an Eagle who spends his life walking the earth, never learning that he could have soared above it all. Our boys will learn to soar...they already are. The other night, our good home teacher, John Anderson, was teaching our family about the Prophet, Joseph Smith. He asked Colter if he had a testimony of Joseph Smith...Colter quickly answered "Yes." Brother Anderson then asked him how he had gained his testimony of the Prophet...Colter replied "after I finished reading the Book of Mormon, I prayed to Heavenly Father to know if he was a Prophet, and I felt a good feeling inside that told me he was." It doesn't get an simpler than that! He's already on the path to becoming a great missionary.
Back to Stake Conference...because McKenna sings with our ward choir, we were able to be at the stake center for Stake Conference, rather than our ward house, for the live broadcast from the stake center. It was an unforgettable opportunity to be 10 feet away from an Apostle of the Lord, Elder Scott, and his companion, Elder Brenchley, an especial witness of the Lord. When Elder Scott walked into the Chapel we all stood. I lifted Wyatt up to see him and he looked right over to Wyatt and smiled at us. It's something I won't forget. We gave our thanks to the outgoing Stake Presidency, Pres. Elmore, Pres. Bitter and Pres. Thurgood and then sustained Pres. Thurgood, Pres. Rhoades and our own Bishop, now President Hawks as the new Stake Pres. and counselors. The hand of the Lord was evident in these callings. To know Elder Scott had never met these men until Saturday, and then was able to call Pres. Thurgood as our new Stake President, confirmed to me that Elder Scott is called of God and is continually on the Lord's errand.
After the meeting we were able to shake his hand and look into his eyes. He is truly a man of God. I thanked him for his testimony. As the girls shook his hand, he told them they had beautiful eyes. Garrett told him how he had the opportunity 19 years earlier to meet him on his mission in Guatemala...Elder Scott replied "it's good to see you're still here" that made us smile! He was so personable and so friendly, a beacon to the world. Exactly what I would expect from an Apostle of the Lord.
Now we are anxiously awaiting the formation of our new bishopric. Garrett mentioned that losing Bishop Hawks was bitter/sweet. He has loved serving with him and learning from him, as have I. We feel so blessed to live here in Syracuse, in the Maplewood Ward. We have tried moving a few times, but just never felt right about it. When we first came to this neighborhood nine years ago, we immediately knew this was where we were to raise our family...and because of following that prompting, blessings have been poured upon our family. More than we can count. We are so blessed!