Sunday, May 10, 2009

"I'll still miss you lots"

I'm learning to take advantage and cherish the sometimes small amounts of time when Garrett is home with us...today he was up for early morning meetings, then home for a minute to enjoy some Mother's Day festivities, then off to more meetings. The kids got me a new welcome mat for our front porch...I mentioned to Ashlyn the other day that we needed a new one, mostly because it's so worn out, but also because the a few days ago I caught Wyatt peeing on the mat - what?? If that doesn't say welcome, I don't know what does??? I was excited she remember that was something I had wanted...I also got lots of new running socks - I have always loved socks! And probably my favorite was a necklace with my kids initials...love it! I loved the homemade cards and the coupon books. The kids also hand-bound a little book entitled: Top 10 Reasons Why We Love You... 1. You're always smiling 2. You always make us happy 3. Our friends think you're cool 4. You're always there for us 5. You always make us laugh 6. You help us on our projects 7. You read to us 8. You make us great dinners 9. You drive us places 10. You are our Hero! It was a great day...we'll be spending FHE with my mom and dad and my sister's family tomorrow night.Tomorrow I am also spending the day at the Humanitarian Center, putting together much needed personal protection kits for the health care workers in Mexico and school kits. Colter had heard me on the phone getting things ready to be gone all day Monday and I guess I didn't explain to him too clearly that I wouldn't be home when he got home from school, but that he would be taken care of because as we knelt for family prayer he said to me "mom, you're always gone," and then he started to quietly cry. I looked at Garrett and just melted...it broke my heart...so I just held him and said, "oh, buddy, I'm mostly going to be gone while you're at school, so you really won't even miss me" that didn't help, he still said he would miss me lots. The only thing that made it ok was that he could hang with his buddy Kobe after school. I have been busy with meetings with my calling, but I didn't think it really affected him...I tucked him into bed, kissed his cheek and read him a little story...I think he'll be just fine! I hope I will!! As my kids get bigger, I'm realizing the importance and need of having one-on-one time with each of them...doing things that build their confidence, things where we can laugh together, sometimes be silly and sometimes be serious, but mostly things that just let us have fun together, even if it's as simple as kicking a soccer ball in the backyard, throwing a baseball or walking the dog together. As long as we're together!