Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Memories...

Our Memorial weekend started early Saturday morning with our neighborhood yard sale. We decided earlier on in the week, as we dug through the house for things to sell, that any money we made would go into our family activity jar. The first thing the kids really want to do with the money is see the new Night at the Museum movie, so that's the plan for next week.Sunday, before our church, we were able to go to Garrett's aunt Andrea and uncle Greg's ward to listen to their son Taylor speak and be sustained an Elder...Garrett's grandparents are in town from Arizona and were also there, so we were able to see them and spend some time with them. Taylor's dad, Greg, set him apart as an Elder and gave him a beautiful blessing - there weren't many dry eyes in the room. Luckily Garrett was able to sneak away from his Sunday meetings to be a part of such a special time in Taylor's life.Sunday, Garrett spoke in sacrament meeting and bore testimony of the importance of preparing for the upcoming Oquirrh Hills Temple dedication. After church, we headed to Midway for some family time. My mom's brother, Nyle, and her cousin, John, are in town so we met them all up there, along with my grandma B and Whitney and her family. We played games, swam, ate lots of great food and just enjoyed being together. McKenna sure has grown up the last few months...when we walked in the house, my mom saw the back of McKenna and seriously wondered who we had brought with us - she is almost as tall as me and soooo beautiful!! We sung Happy Birthday to my grandma...91 candles wouldn't fit on the cake, so only three to represent every thirty years.
We listened as she spoke about raising her children (my mom is the youngest with two older brothers) during the war, and about all the places they lived because her husband, Gordon, was in the military - her favorite was living in Hawaii. I think my mom's was probably New York...or maybe Texas because that's where she met my dad - I'll have to ask her!
With Sunday being a little overcast and cold, we were a little worried what Monday would bring...but it turned out to be a beautiful sunny day. After a delicious breakfast, we hopped on the golf cart to play at the pool and clubhouse...
McKenna loves to take care of Wyatt and Wyatt just loves McKenna to watch over him...on Sunday she told me she couldn't wait to be a mom...that's one of the best thing I could hear from my girls. McKenna, you are becoming such a beautiful young woman...you are someone I love to be with. I had to snap this shot of McKenna in her swimming suit and her cute converse shoes taking Wyatt by the hand to the bathroom...
Wyatt loved the water squirter...dad had just as much fun, especially when their aim was on me!
here's a great shot before it actually hit the camera and me...Wyatt loved that!!
over to the indoor pool for more swimming because someone threw up in the outdoor pool...
Ashlyn is like a little fish in water...this trip she finally mastered holding her breath the whole length of the pool. Way to go, Ash!
Colter and Tanner got a hold of the camera and this is what I found...I loved their pictures, especially this one of TClose your eyes"...the kids dug in the hills in front of grandma & grandpa's house and found some pretty cool rocks that grandpa cracked open...
Before dinner, aunt Whitney took us on a wild golf cart ride around the hills of Midway. McKenna and Wyatt were both a little nervous about aunt Whitney's driving :) I love this picture of McKenna holding Wyatt so close - Wyatt kept asking McKenna to hold him "more tight". We ended the evening with a yummy BBQ, a little tennis for grandpa and the girls, and more swimming for the boys before heading home...and back to the real world!
Tanner with grandpa Nichol looking on in the background,
My cute mom and dad and the boys...because of choices my dad's parents, grandma and grandpa Gutke, made and choices made by my parents, we have this incredible place in Midway to come and play and truly get away from everything and just spend time together. I love watching my kids grab grandpa or grandma's hand and say 'let's go play tennis', 'come play pool with me' or 'lets play trains' and they immediately stop whatever they're doing and enjoy being in the moment with them. I love that my kids know they are more important than anyTHING in this world to them. They will not forget these times with grandma and grandpa. I sure love you, mom and dad. Thanks for all the great memories!
Last night we all slept great...according to Garrett, I even slept walk, and came to the kitchen and ate the last piece of chocolate cake we brought home from Midway...what the heck, no wonder I'm not losing weight??!! I guess I must have been hungry!