With soccer season coming to an end and a new one about to begin with try-outs at the end of the month, we wanted to do something fun and memorable with the team...so, we planned a girls get-away to Midway...it was funner (is that even a word?) than I had imagined!!Ashlyn came along too, and brought her cute friend, Brinley, so she would have her own friend to hang with. It was the perfect weekend for us girls to get-away because Garrett and the boys were off to father & sons at Camp Woodland.Our adventure started out Friday afternoon with the girls painting the windows on our cars...then heading over to the school to cheer on McKahll S. and McKahl B. and lots of our friends and neighbors as they ran in the Bluff Ridge 5k. The girls crossed the finish line after an awesome time of 31 minutes...way to go girls!! Then we swooped them up and headed for Midway.
Britney, Mikayla, McKahl, McKahll, McKenna, Kathryn, Maddie, Hailey, Kallee and Kaitlyn showin' off her Spider man muscles in front...McKenna had two molars pulled on Thursday so she opted not to run. In the end, I think she was thrilled about getting out of it (she was a crack-up on the way home from the dentist...that laughing gas really did her in, she came home and slept for 6 hours straight!)We made it safely to Midway, losing no one along the way...ooh, except for a hubcap from Garrett's Audi - ouch! After giving a tour of my parents beautiful home, the girls quickly claimed the basement and began setting out all of their 'girl stuff'...so much stuff for one night, and they're only eleven!!They played a little air hockey, painted fingernails in the unfinished theatre room, lined up all the sleeping mats and set up their beds...pretty much just made themselves right at home, which was the biggest compliment. It's easy to feel welcome in my parent's place...everyone who comes here feels it - that's probably why I love bringing my friends here.
with the team this year, McKenna has made some great friends...there's a perk to my daughter having great friends...I get some pretty great friends, too...their moms! Back on the main floor, the moms; Kelly, Tanisha, Lori, Michelle, Alissa and I bundled up in blankets and sat around the fireplace to chat.
The girls were anxious to exchange their 'secret sister' gifts and swim, so they quickly traded their gifts, then we all changed into our suits and headed for the indoor pool. I had an eerie feeling on the way to Midway that, of course, this would be the night they close the pool for maintenance - I was sick when I saw the darkened clubhouse. No swimming in the pool until the next morning...but the hot tub and hanging at the main clubhouse turned out to be the best thing anyway. Tanisha, the bravest mom of all, drove the golf cart that night to the pool with 10 of the girls barely hanging on for dear life...we headed down to my uncle Jim's place to pick up his golf cart so safety would not be compromised for fun. My uncle's golf cart doesn't have a governor on the speed so it leaves my dad's golf cart in the dust...and that didn't make the girls riding with Tanisha very happy. We might have to talk to grandpa Nichol about removing that governor, ha ha!
After a little ping pong, pool, Foosball, a few rounds of lightening and definitely exceeding the legal limit for people in a hot tub we headed back to the house for more fun...
Some of the girls played American Idol in the playroom while others watched Kung Fu Panda. I think they crashed around 1:00 a.m...and we quickly followed. We thought for sure the girls would sleep in, but by 6:30 they were all up and ready to play. While the awesome breakfast casserole that Tanisha made cooked in the oven, we played a few games of Wolf, a game we definitely have to play whenever McKahll's around - it seems I always end up being one of the wolves and since I don't lie very well, or I can't fake it very well, I'm caught pretty quickly...thanks, especially, to little miss Kallee!!! aaaghh!
After breakfast, the girls made a fort...
then swam and layed out...
(nice mohawk, Mikayla!)played more ping pong...
raced golf carts, again...hiked to an old abandoned house...
and on the way home, stopped in Heber for their famous train burgers at Dairy Keen.
Alissa and her girls...Hailey and Britney
All in all, it was a great way to end an awesome season...hopefully this will be a yearly La Roca tradition! Home safe and happy and so excited to see my boys!
McKenna has loved playing soccer these last two years with these darling girls. She has loved her coach, Matt...we think he's pretty awesome, too. He is so devoted to these girls and has such a great way with them. McKenna just adores him! Hopefully the bulk of the team will stay together with Matt as their coach. They are finally playing together and passing so well...it's not pinball soccer anymore and it's so much fun to watch! This past outdoor season, their team took 2nd place. McKenna has been playing goalie more than usual this season and I think she's beginning to like it. We just need to look into getting her some one-on-one goalie training so she feels more confident in that position. We'll see what happens with upcoming try-outs.