Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Forza Cup...

This past week McKenna's La Roca team played in the Forza Cup...in the end they were again awarded 1st Place Medals...nice job girls! McKenna had some amazing saves and one of those amazing saves turned into her second yellow card of the season during tournament play. She charged a player coming at her one-on-one and rather than let the girl shoot on her, she made herself "big", as the coach calls it, and ran out to take her on, cutting off her angles, but in doing so she stepped outside her box and blocked the ball with her hands which is an immediate yellow card for anyone who saves a goal with their hands, even the goalie. I was worried she should have stayed in the box, but according to her coaches and everyone else she did the right thing because she stopped a goal and then she stopped the penalty kick their team got to take for her getting carded...she was on fire that day! At first when she became the goalie I was so nervous for her, but as I've watched her progress and improve and as I've seen her gain confidence in her abilities, she really shines through and she is so fun to watch. The other night, her first La Roca coach, Matt, came to watch the game and afterward couldn't say enough about the kind of keeper McKenna has become...she is awesome!