Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Sometimes it Takes a Village or an Amazing Ward Family...

I forgot to write about these experiences, but wanted to before I forget...
The first happened a few weeks ago when the ym/yw on the ward were planning to go to an exhibit at BYU, but at the last moment realized it wasn't going to work, so Garrett offered to have a movie activity in the backyard. He called me just to let me know everyone would be over. I love it when everyone comes over, but realized I probably needed to mow the lawn just to make it look a little nicer...my day was jam packed and I wondered how I could get it done, realizing that it would be OK even if I didn't get to it. Well, before heading out to one appointment I pulled out the lawn mower and gassed it up to prepare it for when I came back realizing that I would only have about 30 minutes before the next place I would need to be (it usually takes me 2 hours to mow our lawn). I felt hopeful that somehow I would get it done, but didn't really know when. After my first errand I came back inside and noticed a message on my machine...our good neighbor Brother Bartholomew called to ask if there was anything he and his cute kids could do to help prepare for the yw/ym evening. I called back and then after talking with him realized that I didn't even remember dialing his number...as we talked he specifically asked if they could come and mow the lawn...I immediately said yes! He was so glad, because three times he had felt the prompting to call and ask about mowing the lawn and finally he followed. That is a great feeling! It was such a fun afternoon watching this great father and three of his kids come over and serve our family. Bro. Bartholomew, Jacob and Alex even criss-crossed the lawn...it was beautiful! What a great example to my kids! We joined in the fun and laughed along with them as we worked in the yard...we are so blessed to have such an amazing ward family!
The next one happened about a week ago. Our neighbor ,Chris, came over to build shelves in our garage and stacked the wood just outside on the RV pad. He had left for the day and I was busy running Colt to football, McKenna to soccer, then Ash to dance and it began to rain. I thought of needing to cover the wood and realized I had about 15 minutes before I needed to be back to get Colt from football, but then got a call from Lori saying the coaches had ended football because of the rain so I said I would be right there, but first I thought I could quickly stop home to cover the wood with a tarp. I did that and saw that one of our umbrellas had been blown off the deck, so I ran and picked it up and tried to put it back into the table and umbrella stand...this is where it gets bad! The wind picked up and I lost my grip on the umbrella pole and it bent the metal ring in the middle of the table and immediately shattered the glass top into a BILLION pieces. I was paralyzed and just screamed "NO, NO, NO." Our neighbor, Brad, who lives behind us yelled back "Steph, are you ok?" I couldn't move and said "I'm ok, but I need help" I didn't know what to do or where to start. After a few minute of taking it all in and telling to kids to stay far away. I began picking up glass and quickly stopped after cutting my fingers. Then I grabbed the tarp that had been over the wood because it was not raining anymore and put it under the deck over the sandbox to stop anymore from falling into it. Brad came over quickly with awesome gloves that totally protected our hands and immediately began helping me clean up the mess. Then Colt appeared on the deck asking where I had been and that Lori had dropped him off because she was worried something had happened...so thankful for good friends who take care of me and my family!! It took about 2 hours to clean it all up...I would probably be in the crazy house if I had to do everything alone. Garrett helps out so much, but because he is gone many evenings helping, counseling and interviewing people in the ward I rely on my friends and neighbors so much.
The last one was such a funny one, but still helped me to understand how much I rely on my neighbors and how quickly they are willing to serve. For the past few months we have had a birds nest just outside our front door and I've always been a little worried that maybe one day the mama bird might miss the turn and come into the house instead and then how in the heck would we get her out?? Well, it happened and she got trapped in the office just inside the door...I tried for a few minutes but wasn't making any progress...I was more freaked out by this crazy, scared bird flying around in the house and didn't know what to do. I told the kids to run over to the Mansfield's and get their pool net and maybe that would help. Nope! Still couldn't get the bird out. I called a pet store and asked if they had any ideas. Nothing! I told the kids to go and get Trent...I knew he could do it. Many years ago when Garrett was out of town, the kids and I came home one evening pretty late and the downstairs door was wide open. The kids were pretty little and I was terrified that someone was in the house. I called Alisa and asked in Trent could come over and make sure we were safe...he immediately came, with his gun, and secured our home. We laugh about that one now because since then the same thing happened to Diane and he did the same thing for her. It truly meant so much to me at the time just how quickly he came to help!! But that's just how Trent is. Well, Trent and his kids came over and within a few minutes and after a few splatters of blood on my wall the bird was out and alive...whew! What an ordeal!

I know the Lord's plan is for us to be a part of a family, but with all these things that have been happening, my understanding that part of our Heavenly Father's plan was for us to be in ward families, so we could serve outside our families and have the opportunity to be served (sometimes by those who know us best and still love us) has definitely increased! I know we will all be accountable for how we treat everyone we meet. We are so blessed to have so many caring and compassionate and Christlike people around us serving our family. I know the Lord is mindful of our little family and I know so many of my prayers are answered through my neighbors and friends...