Thursday, September 9, 2010

Utah Fair...

With all going on in life we took a much needed break and met my parents and sister and her family at the fair...well, Ashlyn, Colt, Wyatt and I did, Garrett had stake meetings he couldn't get out of and when I picked McKenna up from the jr high she didn't look so good...Wyatt had a fever last week and I could tell she wasn't feeling good, plus she's been running like crazy with volleyball, soccer and school so I knew she needed a night to just go home and sleep. Greg drove her home and then texted me that I had fallen for the oldest trick in the book. He and Amy have teenagers and they have been given the sick excuse before by their kids so they could stay home all alone...it made me laugh. Luckily McKenna is still too innocent to really pull that on me...at least, I hope!
We had a great time! We LOVED the huge, yellow slide, the rides, the food, the little farm area, people watching and the boys of course loved the swords. Sweet little Ashlyn found the coolest toy, two huge blue boulders on the end of a string that you clack together. She was so excited to take it to school to play at recess the next day. But sadly after school I got a call from a teary Ashlyn saying she had accidentally thrown her toy away at lunch and needed my help going through the dumpsters at school. Only a mom could do this...together Ashlyn, Colt and I went through about 5 garbage bags and about the time I was going to heave I told Ashlyn we couldn't keep doing this, that we had given it our best efforts, but that her toy was gone...she was sad but was so mature about it and really understood we couldn't keep going. She said she was going to check her class and desk once more before riding her bike home...on the way home I said a little prayer that somehow she would find it. Amazingly a few minutes after I got home she came barrelling through the door holding her toy. Wow! I couldn't believe it...but then again I could. It was shoved in the back of her desk, she never remembers putting it there. It was a great opportunity to talk with her about giving everything our all, no matter what it is, and then turning it over to the Lord.
Anyway, back to the fair. Tanner, Colt, Ethan and Ashlyn all wanted to ride this flying ride...Wyatt clung to my leg and I was just great with that! The kids all got on and the operator started the ride. Ashlyn was in tears before it even started and Whitney finally noticed it, we got the operator to stop the ride and she got off - my brave, no fears girl was actually afraid and I was really ok with that. Maybe she's realizing she doesn't have to be the bravest. She got off and then she and grandpa rode the ferris wheel together. What a sweet grandpa...he would do anything to make her happy! Grandma, Whitney and I all get sick on anything that goes around, or spins or moves for that matter and that's pretty much all they had at the fair - I know, pretty sad for my kids! Such a fun night...great memories!