Early morning phone calls from grandmas and grandpas and Swedish pancakes for breakfast...what a way to start a birthday morning. Then Ashlyn and Colter headed to school for the day and Wyatt was off to spend the day with Owen so Kenna and I could hit the mall and lots of other stores to spend her birthday money on new clothes. We found some great things...sandals, capris, shirts, dresses, flower headbands and a darling purple ring to match her phone. So much fun shopping with my daughter who soon will be taller than I! We ate lunch at Chik-fil-a and then later that night Garrett and I took her out to eat at her favorite restaurant - Rumbi Island Grill...spoiled! A little poppy seed bundt cake after blowing out all candles in one breath (or, as Garrett tells the kids, you will marry someone ugly :) so the kids get all nervous and eventually end up spitting all over the cake from laughing so hard when trying to blow all the candles out in one breath. McKenna had a hard time composing herself enough and Wyatt kept jumping in to help her - too funny!I can't believe she's 12, but then again I can. She even got a phone call from a boy who lives out of state but spent a few weeks during the summer at his grandma's who's in our ward. Dad mentioned those are the boys he likes the best...the ones that live in another state. McKenna is so mature and beautiful and confident and compassionate...she knows she is a daughter of God...so much more responsible and good than I remember being at her age.
The other morning in our family scripture study, we were reading in Matthew, chapter 5. A verse I've read and heard my whole life took on a different meaning this morning as I reread it later in the day...verse 16 reads "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father which is in heaven." This is McKenna. I pray she will always make choices that will allow her to "let her light so shine." We love you, bug!
