Day 1...we had looked forward to this day for months. Lots of anticipation of finding what families we were going to be placed in. Lots of excitement for what we were about to undertake. Garrett and I weren't sure if we would be able to see each other much while on Trek...it turns out our companies were often close to each other, so we snuck a few chance meetings whenever we could...I later found out through his sisters in his family that whenever he would come by to say hi, he would first ask his Ma and Pa for permission to go see "the cute, little danish girl down the road"...how cute! His sisters told me how impressed they were with how respectful he was and that they wanted to find a husband just like him. They also told me how they saw him picking small flowers and pressing them in his Trek book...when they asked him what he was doing, he told them he was pressing flowers to impress "that cute, little danish girl." They were so impressed...wow, I was too! I was in the Denmark company and G was in the British company. I love this guy!

Meeting at the stake center. Here are some of the great youth in our ward. Sam, Zeth, Bruce, Landon, Parker, Tanner, Zach, Mitchell and Halen in front...love these young men.

and some great young women from our ward...Shawnie, Maddie, Sarah, Kasey, Emily, Sharlee, Masina, Alex and me...

Below is our Trek family picture just a few minutes after meeting...me, Ryan, Megan, Taylor 'Red', Braden, Jordan, Taylor, Britley, Hannah, Ma, Pa and Corbin. A little quiet, but great things were to come! We trekked a few miles and got to know each other a little, then the men were called off on a mission. President Thurgood spoke to all the men about womanhood and respecting and appreciating the women in their lives while Sister Thurgood spoke to all the women about respecting the priesthood holders in our lives and relying on the Lord to accomplish great things and coming to know that ministering angels will attend us.
She then told us of our next assignment...The Women's Pull. We were to push and pull our handcarts up the hill without the help of the men in our family and in complete silence. It was a daunting task, but as our Ma spoke to us before our time to go, we felt we could call on those ministering angels, those who had walked the plains before us, and we would receive strength. It was hard, but we did it. Later, Britley, bore her testimony of that experience and I truly feel I saw her as her Heavenly Father sees her. My heart was drawn to hers from that moment on.

I think one of the defining moments for me on trek was that first day as the sun was beginning to set that evening as we made our way to camp. We were coming up upon what was to be the last little ridge before we were to drop into camp for the night. It was quiet and I remember watching the sunset and giving thanks for the Spirit that had lingered close by for the whole day, particularly after the women's pull. As we walked up that last hill, I could hear in the distance the soft music of a harmonica...as I listened I wished in my heart that whomever was playing that harmonica could be in my family. I turned around and noticed my brother on trek, Jordan Carbine, pushing the cart with his left hand and playing so effortlessly with his other hand. I couldn't make out the song, but knew it in my heart. I later realized it was "If You Could Hide to Kolob." I couldn't control the tears as we continued to walk in silence, the Spirit so strong, with this beautiful, inspiring music from Jordan in the background. All along the trail and at camp just at random times, Jordan would pull out his harmonica and play a hymn (that is until he lost it at the hoe down)...he had an incredible gift of bringing the Spirit with his amazing talents.
My darling next door neighbor, Shae...she is so stinkin' cute! Obviously the lens on the camera wasn't fully opened. The first night was cold, luckily I had a hat and gloves and even my ski coat to keep me warm. Garrett took the skinnier sleeping bag and gave me the thicker one...the next morning when I saw him he quietly mentioned to me that he froze all night. I felt so bad.
Day 2...a little dirtier, but not even caring because we were having fun. This morning everyone gathered together to hear from our trail boss. As we ended with a hymn, we could hear yelling from across the ravine from a group of men. A mob was coming, yelling "You Mormons, get out of here, you're not wanted here!" I immediately got chills. I put myself in my ancestors shoes...I thought of my own pioneer ancestors and the fathers and mothers that wanted so desperately to protect their families and the young children that obediently walked the plains to find their promised land. I thought of Eliza Jane Cheney whom I was walking for and another ancestor Christina McNeal whom I have heard so much about my whole life. These things really happened...mobs really came to torment and to hurt so many good saints. I know these were only mock situations, but for me they made everything so much more real. Even waking that first morning I remember looking around our camp...the silence in the air as everyone woke, the handcarts in the background, the American flag, everyone in their pioneer apparel and even the seagulls flying around...I felt a small sense of what the pioneers must have felt. Through this trek, I was given a very small glimpse of how hard, how fulfilling and how spiritual a journey it was to be a pioneer. 
Day 2...a little dirtier, but not even caring because we were having fun. This morning everyone gathered together to hear from our trail boss. As we ended with a hymn, we could hear yelling from across the ravine from a group of men. A mob was coming, yelling "You Mormons, get out of here, you're not wanted here!" I immediately got chills. I put myself in my ancestors shoes...I thought of my own pioneer ancestors and the fathers and mothers that wanted so desperately to protect their families and the young children that obediently walked the plains to find their promised land. I thought of Eliza Jane Cheney whom I was walking for and another ancestor Christina McNeal whom I have heard so much about my whole life. These things really happened...mobs really came to torment and to hurt so many good saints. I know these were only mock situations, but for me they made everything so much more real. Even waking that first morning I remember looking around our camp...the silence in the air as everyone woke, the handcarts in the background, the American flag, everyone in their pioneer apparel and even the seagulls flying around...I felt a small sense of what the pioneers must have felt. Through this trek, I was given a very small glimpse of how hard, how fulfilling and how spiritual a journey it was to be a pioneer. 
Today, we only trekked three miles and then set up camp in a big clearing. Today was a day of fun. We spent the day playing games as families that made us work together. We played a version of bean bag toss, our family took 1st in the skit competition, our company almost took 1st in the log walking competition and I got to be the one walking on the sticks, we bobbed for apples and later that night danced the night away at the hoe down...so much fun! With about half an hour left at the hoe down, Garrett and I snuck away to just be together. I fell asleep easily tonight. 
Taylor, one of my cute sisters in my trek family, was fun to mess around with...
Day 3...by this time our family had really come together. Later that night at dinnertime we only had about 5 minutes to eat before heading to the fireside. Everyone was chatting away, laughing and kind of goofing around and no one was eating. Finally, in a stern voice, Ma, said, "Stop talking and start eating"...I said "We are now a family!" I love this picture with Ryan's huge grin and his arms wrapped around Taylor and Braden. There is a tremendous bond I feel with these youth that came because of the Spirit...there's no other way to explain it.
In the morning of the third day, we listened as Brother Cloward spoke of the atonement and bore testimony that we each have the opportunity to make the atonement real in our lives. Then, while soft music played in the background, we had the chance to write something we admire about each member of our family on a poster draped around their neck. To me, this was probably my favorite activity. As I thought about each different person in my family, I came to feel such love for them, individually. It came so easily and so naturally. I remember at one point during this activity just bowing my head and crying uncontrollably.
Later, during our 'solo' experience we were able to read what everyone had written...I remember looking around at each one of them and thanking my Heavenly Father for such great youth. On my solo experience I also was able to read a letter from Garrett. I'm still emotional as I think of the sweet things he wrote to me. I love getting letters from him. I love that he shares his testimony with me. I love that he truly respects womanhood. He has a way of expressing himself so easily through letters. 
Tonight we met for a fireside. We heard from President Rhoades and our good stake president, President Thurgood. They spoke of the temple and making covenants...being prepared now to make and keep sacred covenants with our Heavenly Father. We had the opportunity to brand the front of our Trek books with the symbol of this trek...three connecting circles with the temple in the background symbolizing the past, the present, and the future and Always Remembering the covenants we make in the House of the Lord. Pres. Thurgood challenged us to only brand our books in we were willing to keep our covenants. As he finished speaking, a huge replica of the Salt Lake Temple shone on a hill behind him. It was breathtaking. I was reminded that the temple is home, that I need to help my children keep their 'eye on the temple', that everything in my life should revolve around the temple, that I need to be striving in my life to be in the temple more often. My heart was full this day. 
Another one of my darling neighbors, Emily...love this girl to pieces! She is one to jump up and do anything that is asked. One day on trek, volunteers were needed to help with a skit...she immediately jumped up to help and one of my brothers in my family who had never met Emily said "I like that girl, she's not afraid of anything!" So true...she has confidence, but more importantly she had courage to stand for the right in every situation.
Day 4...we're looking a little dirty, but so happy and so fulfilled...another chance meeting with this cute pioneer! We knew our time on trek was ending...a little sadness and a little gladness to get home and see our kids. But what an incredible opportunity we were given. I am so thankful!
Us with our good friends Jorge and Steph. They are amazing people. They were called as a Ma and Pa on trek...they don't have children of their own and have never camped a day in their life, but I know the youth in their family were blessed to have been taught and loved by them. Garrett home taught Jorge and Steph for many years when they first moved into the ward and through that service he developed such a deep love and admiration for both of them. Jorge's life story is amazing and Steph is just the sweetest woman you could ever meet. They are great!
Garrett and I with more great youth from our ward...Bruce, Cambria and Brooklyn Bitter...these are some of the finest youth in the world! Definitely saved for these latter-days.