Monday, August 17, 2009

20 Years in the Making...

Saturday night we attended Garrett's 20 Year High School Reunion at Davis High. It was like pulling teeth to get him to finally commit to going (actually it was his best friend, Scott, that finally convinced him), but once we got there he was off and running and having such a great time. So glad we didn't miss!
It was fun to see him with his old high school buddies, reminiscing about their skiing days and their fast and furious car racing days...something our boys will never hear about! It was fun to meet girls that confessed they always had a crush on him and then to hear him tell me later that he secretly liked them too, funny how that works!
McKenna watched the kids while we played...it was great to be able to text back and forth with her while we were out, especially as it got later into the evening. Around 11:00 she texted us and said "when are you guys coming home?" Garrett's reply was "your mom keeps talking to everyone, I can't get her to leave"...this time I can definitely say it wasn't me, but her reply made us both laugh..."Yeah, I know, mom can sure talk forever!" What a funny girl!
It was a great night...as I watched Garrett across the room I couldn't help but smile! Everything good in my life has come because of him...there's a song by Brad Paisley that I love, that night as I watched Garrett I kept thinking about that song...it says perfectly how I feel about him!

I Thought I Loved You Then
I remember trying not to stare the night that I first met you
You had me mesmerized
And 3 weeks later in the front porch light taking 45 min to kiss goodnight
I hadn’t told you yet but I thought I loved you then.

Now you’re my whole life now you’re my whole world
I just can’t believe the way I feel about you
Like a river meets the sea
Stronger than it’s ever been
We’ve come so far since that day
And I thought I loved you then.

I remember taking you back to right where I first met you
You were so surprised
There were people around
But I didn’t care I got down on one knee right there
And once again I thought I loved you then

I can just see you with a baby on the way
I can just see you when your hair is turning gray
What I can’t see is how I’m ever gonna love you more
But I’ve said that before.

Now you’re my whole life now you’re my whole world
I just can’t believe the way I feel about you
Well look back some day at this moment that we’re in
And I'll look at you and say and I thought I loved you then
And I thought I loved you then...