The other day while going through papers in the office, I came across a blue folded up paper and opened it to see what it was before I threw it out. I began reading and was immediately overcome with the spirit. Ashlyn is growing up and so is her testimony and depth of understanding in the Gospel and I'm so proud of her.
Monday night was her night to prepare our lesson for family home evening. Mondays are busy around here...she dances from 4-6, Colt's at football from 5-6:30 and Kenna's at a volleyball game or soccer training until 6:00, so everyone gets home about the same time, we eat dinner together and then Ash began preparing her lesson.
As I cleared the dinner table, I watched as she sat on the floor in the family room with Preach My Gospel, her scriptures, The Friend and The New Era all beside her. I admired her for her diligence and dedication because we could hear dad and the kids outside playing volleyball, laughing and screaming and having a great time and even with all that going on, she continued to prepare her lesson.
We all gathered together and Ashlyn began teaching us...she taught about Christlike attributes from Preach My Gospel. She bore testimony that we need to ask our Heavenly Father for help in developing Christlike attributes in our our lives and that only with His help, can we have these Christlike attributes of Faith, Hope, Charity and Love, Virtue, Knowledge, Patience, Humility, Diligence and Obedience come to us. Then she chose to focus on diligence and she taught that only with our Heavenly Father's help can we be diligent in overcoming some things in our lives that may be hard for us. I listened with small tears in my eyes as our 11 year-old daughter taught the family. She knows about diligence...this last month she has been determined to not bite her nails anymore and I know she's sought help from her Heavenly Father to do this and she's accomplishing this goal.
I looked around the room as Ashlyn testified of Jesus Christ...Colt was so concentrated on her, Kenna was watching in awe, Wyatt was quiet and reverent, which never happens, dad was all smiles and I even saw a tear in dad's eyes, too. The spirit was in abundance tonight in our home and I'm so thankful! Then we knelt for family prayer...and after prayer, all was back to normal and the boys began to wrestle. Life is good!