This year, Colt's playing on coach Rusch's Mighty Mites team and loving it! It's not what we expected...after last season, coach Hamblin and coach Burke promised to keep the team together, as best he could, but things didn't work out that way...it's a new year, a new team and new coaches, but it's going to be a great change.
After the first night of football try-outs coach Burke sought out Colt and told him to slow it down a bit and make a few fumbles otherwise they were worried he was going to be snagged by coach Rusch. Later that night Colt told dad and me what coach Burke had said to him and that he felt torn. We asked him to pray about it and that we would be prayerful, too. I know Colt and he always wants to do his best, no matter what it is...we've taught the kids that we do our best and Heavenly Father will do the rest, and Colt just knew, even after coach Burke talked to him, that if he did his best than it would all work out the way it should. The next night before try-outs, began coach Burke found me and told me the same thing, that Colt was a rock star out there and other coaches were vying for him and they were probably not going to be able to keep him on their team and that he needed to really work on missing catches and tripping that night. I was sad because I love the friends he has on that team but I think it was that I loved the moms on that team more. I relied on them so much last year to help me get Colt to and from practice because of our crazy schedule of soccer, volleyball, and for these 3 months of football and I knew it would be a repeat of last year.
Thursday night the draft took place and coach Rusch chose Colt early on in the pick...I was sad at first but Colt was not phased one bit. It's as if he knew it was coming. He immediately saw that he was with Dylan, Logan and Wyatt and was as happy as could be. My attitude changed and I quickly felt this was where he needed to be and it's been great. Coach Burke called that night to make sure Colt was ok and to tell me how much they are going to miss him on their team and that they will get him back next year, but he especially wanted me to know how proud he was of Colt and how much he respected Colt for doing his best at all times no matter the outcome. He knew that no matter what anyone said, Colt was going to give it his all and that meant a lot to him...that call meant a lot to me.
So, last week, Colt's new team played in the Jamboree, which lets teams come together before the season starts to play short scrimmages against a few different teams just to give them an idea of how they might stack up during the season.
Colt's team won both games, the coaches were ecstatic and felt they were up to the competition ahead of them...until our first game against Plain City and we were whooped!! We've since come back stronger and with some changes the coaches made to the offensive and defensive line the boys claimed victory over Ogden 38-6 today. It was a well deserved win. Colt had some awesome tackles. It's so great to see him reading the guys he is up against and knowing where to play as corner back...he is one tough and fast dude and he can pull guys down that are double his size. I'm so glad he loves football because it definitely takes a love of the game to train everyday after school in 100 degree heat.
Colt doesn't ask for much, so the other day when he asked for some padded underarmor, I was happy to get him what he wanted. When I brought it home he was thrilled and couldn't wait to try it out at practice that day. After practice he kept thanking me for getting his new underarmor and saying how the pads against his hips and ribs helped so much because when he's tackling and has to lower his shoulder into the other guy his own elbow digs into his side...the price I paid for that expensive underarmor was all worth it!!