Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Chasing Dragonflys...

Just this morning, after watching McKenna leave for the bus and Ash and Colt ride off on their bikes to school, I sat on the front porch watching Wyatt ride his bike in the cul-de-sac.  That's all he wants to do every hour of every day and I love it.  A few years ago, after hearing a talk by Elder Bednar, entitled "Watching with all Perseverance", I felt a strong impression to always be where my children are and always be watchful, especially with Wyatt, especially outside.  I've reread this talk and nowhere in it does it say anything about watching over your children, but that's the impression I received the first time I heard it, so I'm going with it. 

Wyatt's always asking if we can go on a bike ride and I love to oblige, probably because I love my new beach cruiser bike!! Just the other day as we were riding around the neighborhood, he turned to me and said "Mom, I love your beach cruiser...you look sweet on it!"  I love my little mister! 
 
Well, after a few minutes of riding, Wyatt got off his bike and began chasing something in the air...I asked what he was doing and he said "Mom, I'm chasing dragonfly's and I've almost got it!!"  Right then my heart broke, I watched him and suddenly pictured him at Colt's age and how this innocence and curiosity will be gone in a few years.  I watched him with a heavy heart, but smiled at the pure joy he had in chasing a simple dragonfly....it's hard to let my baby grow up, but he's doing it no matter how much I try to stop it.  I've enjoyed these years with my kids being little, I feel I've cherished every moment and I've always said I want no regrets, and I really don't have any, but now I'm at a different time with all of them in school and I really don't think I like this at all.  I've realized that while they are gone to school, I need to be diligent with my time and make sure I use it wisely in preparing dinners, doing laundry and running errands so that when they come home from school I'm all theirs...I love being a mom.  We have amazing children!!