Last night, Brother Dave Rich passed away with his family all around him. We heard the news around 11:30 p.m. and as I hung up the phone I cried for my dear, sweet friend Betty. Dave was diagnosed with cancer a year ago August and doctors gave him only a few months to live. Dave knew he could beat this cancer and Betty did too, and they did everything they could to sustain his life, but last night he moved on and took one of the first trips he's ever taken without Betty by his side.
Betty and I met about 10 years ago when she and Dave moved into the ward. I was pregnant with Colt and Betty was called as the primary president and called me to be her 1st counselor. We served together for 3 years and our friendship grew and has remained strong ever since. Then, about 5 years ago Betty was called as the Relief Society president and she again called me as her counselor. I love and admire Betty. She is Christlike, generous, kind, compassionate, capable and humble. She is my friend forever. She's always telling Garrett how much she loves me and he always jokes that it's beginning to bug him how much everyone loves Stephanie. Betty always asks him "Do you know anyone who has asked the same person to be their counselor twice?? You know I love your wife!" Garrett just nods his head and smiles...he's good at that!
Tuesday afternoon I picked up some muffins and bread and headed over to see Betty. She and Dave moved from our ward about six months ago to be closer to their daughters in Kaysville and to downsize. Betty knew that when Dave had completed his work on earth that she would need her daughters. I wondered what I would say to Betty. I wondered if she would be her cheerful, happy self...the same person I had seen a week earlier as we visited before Kenna's soccer game. I prayed that the spirit would guide and I would know how to comfort my friend.
I was greeted by her sons and then her daughters and then Betty came down the hall and I just hugged her while we both cried. She was so broken. My heart ached for her and I just held her tighter. She told me she didn't want to let Dave go but then realized she couldn't hold him back. She told me how much she wanted to go with him. My heart ached. I reminded her of the power of the Holy Ghost and the comfort she and her kids would receive. Not many words were exchanged, but I pray she felt of my love and concern for her.
Garrett stopped by on his way home from work to express his love to Betty, too. He loved and looked up to Dave. He had a quiet, yet powerful way about him. He was loved and revered by many. For many months while Dave was having his chemo treatments and was too weak to come to church, the priests had the assignment to take the sacrament to him at home. Garrett went along on these visits and says it was always a special and sacred experience to go with the young men and have them see how important it was for Dave (Sister Bair and Sister Murray, included). When Dave got well enough to come back to church, he wanted to come in and talk to the priest quorum about their service to him. Dave took about 15 minutes of the lesson and just talked to the priests about how grateful he was to have them come and how they were a representation to him of Christ's hands as they would come every Sunday and how much he needed that. Dave wept as he told these boys how he looked forward to them bringing him the sacrament...and Dave doesn't cry easily. Garrett and Greg bore witness to the boys of the importance of this sacred privilege these boys have. How they really do touch lives by performing these sacred priesthood responsibilities.
I was greeted by her sons and then her daughters and then Betty came down the hall and I just hugged her while we both cried. She was so broken. My heart ached for her and I just held her tighter. She told me she didn't want to let Dave go but then realized she couldn't hold him back. She told me how much she wanted to go with him. My heart ached. I reminded her of the power of the Holy Ghost and the comfort she and her kids would receive. Not many words were exchanged, but I pray she felt of my love and concern for her.
Garrett stopped by on his way home from work to express his love to Betty, too. He loved and looked up to Dave. He had a quiet, yet powerful way about him. He was loved and revered by many. For many months while Dave was having his chemo treatments and was too weak to come to church, the priests had the assignment to take the sacrament to him at home. Garrett went along on these visits and says it was always a special and sacred experience to go with the young men and have them see how important it was for Dave (Sister Bair and Sister Murray, included). When Dave got well enough to come back to church, he wanted to come in and talk to the priest quorum about their service to him. Dave took about 15 minutes of the lesson and just talked to the priests about how grateful he was to have them come and how they were a representation to him of Christ's hands as they would come every Sunday and how much he needed that. Dave wept as he told these boys how he looked forward to them bringing him the sacrament...and Dave doesn't cry easily. Garrett and Greg bore witness to the boys of the importance of this sacred privilege these boys have. How they really do touch lives by performing these sacred priesthood responsibilities.