Friday, October 21, 2011

Skipping Work...

Garrett, Greg and Brett had a plan.  Their plan was to skip work on Thursday and take Greg's boat out to Strawberry Reservoir for the day.  Greg made it work, Brett made it work, but Garrett was fretting about how he was going to get the day off...until Wednesday when his boss announced he wouldn't be in the office on Thursday, so Garrett was free to go.  As he packed last night and texted back and forth with Greg about the kind of sandwiches Greg would pack he was giddy and almost childlike in his excitement for what the next day would bring.  I have to write down their texts because Garrett and I could not stop laughing...they went like this:

     Greg: So what are you taking for lunch? 
     Garrett: Whatever you make for me! 
     Greg: So, you're fasting too? 
     Garrett:  Maybe I just need to call Amy and tell her what I want so she can make it.
     Greg:  Yeah, why don't you face time her so you can watch as she makes the
                 sandwiches and offer corrections.
     Greg:  Chunky pb right?
     Garrett:  If p stand for pastrami and b for bacon, yes, I like my bacon crunchy.
     Greg:  You're in luck!
     Garrett:  Oh and I forgot you will have to set the anchor and pull it in all day, too.
     Greg:  Will you be attached to the anchor???  This is going to be a long day.

Garrett and I were laughing uncontrollably.  I had to call Greg to apologize for Garrett's behavior.  Luckily, Greg is patient and understanding.  As I heard Garrett rise this morning at 4:00 and I stayed snuggled in our warm bed, my heart was happy for him to be enjoying the day with some of his favorite people...people who help him forget the trials and struggles of so many in our ward...people he genuinely loves and admires.   Fishing frees his soul...even when it's going to be 30 degrees and windy.  He came home tonight totally and completely exhausted, but with the biggest smile on his face and said these magic words that I love to hear..."You're the best wife ever!"  That always makes everything better...but then he told me of his day fishing and how every cast would bring in a fish...he knew who was making it a great day :)