Saturday, October 22, 2011

Our First Hockey Player...


Wyatt is beginning a new sport and he is so excited.  Luckily our neighbor and good friend will be his coach and one of his best buddies, Sam, will be on his team, too.  Friday night was his first practice.  Wyatt, Colt and I left Lagoon around 3:00 after being there all day with Whitney and the boys, to get Wyatt to his first training.  We drove to the ice arena in Bountiful where he will train and I got him all suited up.  Everyone meets in the locker room and gets their kids all ready...and it's a process with getting all the equipment on and in the right order. 

Wyatt was so excited to get on the ice and everyone was so helpful in making sure he was ready to go.  He got onto the ice and fell, got up, fell again, got up again and fell again, over and over...I was watching with my hands partially covering my eyes because it was hard to watch.  The coaches were all good to give him extra help and then I watched as he fell in the middle of the rink and as he sat up I could see his little body shaking from crying so hard.  I asked another coach if he would be alright and he said "Yep, he'll be fine!" And he was.  The coach gave him a little pep talk and he was up again with no more tears the rest of the night.  Garrett showed up and we watched as Wyatt learned to skate and learned to get up quicker each time.  Hockey is going to be so great for him! 

Everyone we've met that has a son playing hockey has been so kind and generous.  Our friend, John, went through his boys' hockey gear to help supplement Wyatt's equipment and then we bought the rest and one dad overheard me asking another mom about a helmet and offered us his son's chest pads and elbow guards for free...wow.  I think this is going to be great!

This morning Wyatt asked when he could get back onto the ice...we were thrilled to know he's anxious to skate again.  Garrett and I got his big hockey bag that's bigger than he is and got him half-way suited up and we drove to training.  Garrett and I watched this morning as he actually skated and skated fast and is learning how to move the puck with his hockey stick and he's only been on the ice a total of 2 hours now.  He has caught on fast.  After training today, the coach who was with him couldn't believe that he has never skated before yesterday (except at the Gallivan center and I think he just sat on the side and drank hot chocolate).  Wyatt's a stud!  Dad's so good to him...without Wyatt knowing, he order him a churro to eat on the way home.  Colt's now wanting to play hockey too...so we'll see about getting him some gear and signing him up!