Colter and Ashlyn have both been spotlighted this year as Bluffridge Champions. I wish I had taken a picture of Ashlyn's note like I thought to take a picture of Colt's when he came home with his yesterday.
This year the teachers can take the opportunity to recognize a student in their class or anyone they see making a great choice or just being extra ordinarily amazing and with the recognition comes a cool dog tag. Ashlyn's teacher, Mrs. Padilla, recommended Ashlyn because a new girl moved into their class and Ashlyn took the time to include her at recess and in class when she noticed she was all alone. When I met with Mrs. Padilla for parent teacher conferences on Tuesday I came out of her room in amazement...she couldn't say enough about Ashlyn and how she tries her best to help everyone feel included and happy and how she is generally kind to everyone and considerate of others. I thought back to Back to School night and sitting in Ashlyn's desk as Mrs. Padilla introduced herself. I looked around the room and saw self-portraits the kids had done of themselves and a goal they had each written down next to it. I noticed Ashlyn's and for a few minutes I didn't hear anything Mrs. Padilla was saying...I just kept looking at her goal with a full heart: "Be kind to everyone." Wow! What a great goal for the school year and for her whole life. Being kind to everyone and looking for the good in others can only bring unspeakable beauty into her life! I'm so proud of her! I guess I shouldn't be amazed how much Mrs. Padilla thinks of Ashlyn because she is loved and adored by everyone!! But it's good to be reminded.
Colt earned his Champion dog tag from Mrs. Peterson by giving 100% in all he does. Mrs. Petersen thinks he is fabulous...I have to agree. He works hard, he loves to learn, he is respectful, kind and happy, he finishes all of his work and he is a friend to everyone. He is a great son!