A fun and memorable Sill family tradition is to spend the night of the 3rd camping out in grandma and grandpa's backyard. We pitch our tents and settle in to enjoy a good movie projected onto a sheet hanging over the deck in the backyard. In the morning we watch a little patriotic video from when grandpa was President of IASA and the kids help grandpa put up the flag out front.We have been doing this for years and the kids really look forward to it! This year, our tent is in being repaired from one of the many scout trips it's been on, so we decided to sleep out under the stars - we've done this in years past...actually Garrett has done this with the kids in years past and I've always managed to somehow sleep inside all snug and warm with one of the kids. Last year at this time I was not feeling well, so I went inside with Wyatt - who knew it was the beginning of a month long process of trying to figure out what I had, only to be diagnosed with giardia almost a month later...I can't believe it's been a year since that time.This year, Ashlyn and I slept inside (McKenna is camping with her friend, Malorie) and the boys slept under the stars...until it looked like rain was eminent, then Garrett dragged the air mattresses and carried the boys inside to safety. We all slept great and woke early to run/walk in the Layton 5k Fun Run.Garrett's dad is so fun...he's always coming up with great and sometimes crazy ideas. I loved the idea of getting out early and doing the run...Garrett's mom wasn't so thrilled, so she stayed back and made us all breakfest. We all made it across the finish line and headed back for a yummy breakfast. The other day Garrett wondered out loud - he asked me if when he gets to be his dad's age, will he get crazy ideas into his head like his dad - I told him, "definitely!! and we'll love it!"Ashlyn, Bryson, Grandpa, Tolan, me, Colt and Wyatt before the race...
Grandpa and Wyatt crossing the finish line together...Wyatt's favorite part!
Rylee, Emree, Lori, Tolan, Ashlyn, me, Nicole, Sydney, Grandpa, Wyatt and Colter...
A little post-race massage by dad...
We came home, worked in the yard, cleaned the Yukon and prepared for the TNT fireworks show put on in our cul-de-sac by our friend Tyler and his brother Cam...definitely not to be missed!!