Friday, July 17, 2009

She's Growing Up...

Tonight something happened that I guess I didn't imagine would happen so soon...McKenna was invited to a late-night party and as the time got closer us to leave, I grabbed the truck keys and headed out the door with her following closely behind me...she walked over to dad's car and I walked over to the truck. Then she stopped and watched me.We rarely drive the truck - mostly fishing and scouting trips or trips to the dump - this morning we took the truck to the dump to get rid of all our tree clippings, so it's been out all day and today as I've run errands I've just jumped in the truck.Wyatt loves the truck, Colter loves the truck, Garrett loves the truck, Ashlyn loves the truck and I love our Chevy truck...but, apparently McKenna doesn't love the truck.We bought the truck when we were first married and I drove it for about 6 years with 3 car seats in the extended cab...until Colter was three and right before Wyatt was born and we knew we would need more room.I guess she was embarrassed to show up to the party in our truck...someone might see her. What is happening??I was sitting comfortably in the drivers seat and had already started the engine...she looked at me with little tears welling in her eyes and gently pleaded with me to take dad's cool Audi. I was stubborn and quietly said she could either walk or hop in the truck and explained to her that she was lucky to have such a nice ride. I'm not sure I made the right call - it would have been just as easy to send her in for the other keys, but I don't want her to think she's only cool if she has nice things...I don't want her to feel that way, aaagh.I dropped her off and she blew me a kiss as she ran inside. I think she'll be just fine! I got home and told Garrett about our little conversation as we bottled green beans from our garden. He smiled and I said "I'll pick her up in the Audi"...he smiled again. I know what he's thinking without a single word being spoken. When she saw me at the curb she was all smiles! I love this girl!