Sunday, June 28, 2009

Changes in Life...a Sacred Saturday

Saturday was another marathon day...beginning early with Garrett and I going separate ways because of our church calling responsibilities. I headed off to the Salt Lake Temple, where our friends and neighbors, John and Melanie, received their endowments and were sealed as an eternal family, and Garrett was off to the ward house to conduct his first (and hopefully last) funeral service as Bishop, for our dear friend and neighbor, Sister Patti Mortenson.So that I could get to the Salt Lake Temple for the endowment session and sealing with the Brown's, I took off early...while walking to the Temple I realized I hadn't really talked with Garrett about his day and what lie ahead and since I had left my phone in the car I couldn't quickly call and let him know I was thinking of him. I had kissed him goodbye as I walked out the door at home, but I didn't say anything to give him comfort or reassurance that I knew he would do a great job as he conducted and spoke at Patti's funeral. I knew his day would be filled with much prayer and much emotion. As I entered the Temple doors, I offered a silent prayer that the spirit would guide him as he conducted the meetings. It was great to be in the Temple Saturday morning...while there, I was reminded of one of my earliest memories of being with Scott and Patti. It was probably in November, that as couples, we were in the sealing room of the Ogden Temple. It was then that I got to know them and our friendship began. With all going on Saturday, I knew this was the best place I could be. I haven't been back to the Salt Lake Temple for a few years and I loved it - later when I saw Garrett, I told him I'm planning our next date night and we're going to the Salt Lake Temple, plus a little Market Street Grill for dinner, two of our favorite things!After the session, I drove quickly back to our ward house for Patti's funeral, even as I write this I still can't believe she has passed on. My heart aches for her sweet husband and kids, yet, there is peace and hope in our Heavenly Father's plan. I was able to get back in time to hear Mike, the youngest of their children, speak and bear his testimony. He taught the gospel of Jesus Christ. He taught about hope and peace and paid beautiful tribute to his mom.Then, Garrett concluded the meeting, by speaking again about peace and the Holy Ghost and receiving the fullness of the spirit and how the Mortenson's have received that fullness because Scott and their four kids and their spouses have all received their endowments in the Temple...he bore testimony and then recited a poem, a parable of sorts, about Immortality. It was perfect, the Chapel was still and silent!The spirit bore witness to me that he had followed the promptings of the spirit in all he said. I watched as Scott followed the casket out the Chapel doors...my tears would not stop. I have grown to love Scott and his family more than I had ever imagined. Their family will always be a blessing in my life.After the funeral, Garrett and I were able to travel to the cemetery for the dedication of the grave and then go over to the Mortenson's old ward house in Bountiful for the lunch.Scott and Patti have only been in our ward for about 9 months...when their friends and Relief Society from their old ward in Bountiful, where they had lived their whole married life, heard about Patti's passing, they desperately wanted to help with the luncheon. They felt like Patti was theirs. It worked out perfectly to have the funeral service in Syracuse, at their new ward house and then have the luncheon at their old ward house in Bountiful. It has been so apparent to me these last few months while Patti was sick, just how much she was loved and adored by everyone who knew her! The day was a perfect combination of old and new.As Garrett and I drove home, we reflected on our life together and how we are raising our children...hopeful that our children will always know of our testimonies of the Gospel and hopeful that they will always know we love them deeply.